Tiny Roots Bonsai Soil

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I had a couple of bags of this from when I first got started in bonsai several years ago, so thought I would use it up. It is an "organic" product. I re-potted an older maple in it and have noticed that there is a product in this soil that easily crushes to dust when wet and rubbed between your fingers. Not sure I like that if we are looking for granular, free draining soil. Your thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0686.jpg
    IMG_0686.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0705.jpg
    IMG_0705.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0706.jpg
    IMG_0706.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 36

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Crumbles? Probably the Akadama. More than likely a lesser quality/hardness. Might breakdown a bit in the bag as well over time due to environmental conditions. I have used this brand but it is the Akadama, Pumice and Lava mix. Akadama in this mix seems a bit better quality than other pre-mixed soil in their catalogue. I don't think you'll have issues but keep an eye on your watering. Use the ol' "lift test". Water thoroughly and lift the pot to gauge the weight. The next day, pick it up again. Gauge the weight...that sort of thing. This small of a pot, the difference might be minimal.

I've not really experienced any of the deleterious effects of broken-down Akadama as mentioned by other B-nuts in northern climates. Maybe I'm doing it wrong? 😁 😁 😁 😁 😁 😂

As a disclaimer, I don't sift these pre-mixed soils, proper. I do have a scoop with a screen in it though. 😜 😄 😄 😄 🤔 So consider that in your calculations……🧐

If your curious, though.....this will be repotted next spring....that'll be five years in the same soil. Heavy on the Akadama...like $40 heavy.....
DSC00593.JPG

look healthy?

stop playing with your wet soil or your fingers will freeze that way my gran used to say...then we would watch professional wrestling and eat pickled pigs feet and Chicken in a Biscuit crackers!

but seriously, why crush your soil....:)
Have a great socially distant holiday weekend !!!!

Top Bottom