Tiny smoke tree

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I decided to buy a little smoke tree early summer just to see it grow. When I got it it was ate up from bugs and just seemed dead. Poor color. It did nothing all summer. Got tired of it just sitting doing nothing and cut it way down. About two days later it started growing. Don't know what the deal was. Thought I would start a thread in case it eventually grows into something. Great seeing new leaves popping out now.
This is what it looked like.
20170710_145110 (Small).jpg
20170710_145115 (1).jpg
20170917_103140.jpg

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Cotinus, smoke trees, seem to work best for medium and larger sizes. Plan on growing it out and up to get your trunk thick enough for a tree over a foot tall. Trunk diameter should be over 3 or 4 inches, 6 inch diameter would be great. A lot of growing ahead. Move it to a larger nursery pot in spring

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Cotinus, smoke trees, seem to work best for medium and larger sizes. Plan on growing it out and up to get your trunk thick enough for a tree over a foot tall. Trunk diameter should be over 3 or 4 inches, 6 inch diameter would be great. A lot of growing ahead. Move it to a larger nursery pot in spring
Thanks for the info. I have zero knowledge on this tree. Is Texas winter ok to leave it out? Protect from freezing? Plan on getting more info on this later this fall.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Is Texas winter ok to leave it out? Protect from freezing? Plan on getting more info on this later this fall.

Looks to be a Royal Purple, wanted a couple of small one's to mess with but our go-to Nursery is going through a huge renovation, had crap this year. Anyways, they are USDA Zone 4-8 and Deciduous. May I ask where that one came from? :)

Grimmy

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks to be a Royal Purple, wanted a couple of small one's to mess with but our go-to Nursery is going through a huge renovation, had crap this year. Anyways, they are USDA Zone 4-8 and Deciduous. May I ask where that one came from? :)

Grimmy
Bought this from ebay and would not recommend at all from the person I bought from(rdobermans). Horrible customer service, bug infested ate up tree. Not one leaf was whole. Seller also knows how to remove neg feedback. Its very simple.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Bought this from ebay and would not recommend at all from the person I bought from(rdobermans). Horrible customer service, bug infested ate up tree. Not one leaf was whole. Seller also knows how to remove neg feedback. Its very simple.

Thank you, good information indeed ;) I will most likely find some here next year if not this week - AGWAY just put up a sign here saying they have a new Shrub shipment.

Grimmy

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
On the farm in SW Michigan, there is a big Cotinus in the landscape and hundreds of seedlings randomly sprouted around it. This means it will survive -17 F (-27 C), so that is certainly hardy enough for Dallas, TX. I would simply set the pot on the ground in a shady spot for the winter. Mulch to rim of pot if you want to protect roots from freeze thaw cycling. Back into the sun in spring.

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
On the farm in SW Michigan, there is a big Cotinus in the landscape and hundreds of seedlings randomly sprouted around it. This means it will survive -17 F (-27 C), so that is certainly hardy enough for Dallas, TX. I would simply set the pot on the ground in a shady spot for the winter. Mulch to rim of pot if you want to protect roots from freeze thaw cycling. Back into the sun in spring.
Sounds like Texas winters will be no problem at all.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The leaves wich are shaded out will be green the sun exposed leaves will be red/purple

Top Bottom