Tiny White Bugs - Indoor Ficus

Zako51

Yamadori
Reaction score
Good Morning - I went to water my indoor Ficus. It is about 10 years old and I got it in January and it has spent the entire time indoors.

When I was watering, I saw a couple very small white bugs in the soil. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Kevin

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
got a pic?
I get mealy bugs on ficus sometimes. Maybe that's it?

Zako51

Yamadori
Reaction score
Thanks for the response - I can take a picture of the tree, but I doubt I could get one of the bugs, please see below.

Attachments

• DSC_0125.JPG
    DSC_0125.JPG
    211.4 KB · Views: 44
  • DSC_0126.JPG
    DSC_0126.JPG
    259.3 KB · Views: 48
  • DSC_0127.JPG
    DSC_0127.JPG
    248.1 KB · Views: 46
  • DSC_0128.JPG
    DSC_0128.JPG
    253 KB · Views: 49
  • DSC_0129.JPG
    DSC_0129.JPG
    198.5 KB · Views: 50

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
do they move?
That seems like salts that are in the water.

Zako51

Yamadori
Reaction score
They did move, when I was watering, I saw what appeared to be tiny white bugs crawling into the rocks.

lieuz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Buddy, you got the same problem I am having with my pine. @GrimLore looks like we got another one here, need to bust out the IPA and cheap hookers haha.

lieuz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I can't exactly tell if you have a huge infestation or not but I do notice you have some here and there. Mealy bugs is what believe you have based off your pictures.

lieuz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Zako51 yeah, this is for sure mealy bugs. I know there are lots of ways to approach pests but I took a chance and tried the isopropyl alcohol method. I put into a spray bottle 50/50 of the rubbing alcohol and water and sprayed every nook and cranny I could find and under a shady area, I let the tree sit. After a few hours I did observe a notable difference where the bugs have shrank in size. I have a ficus that has the issue as well right now and this treatment didn't hurt the tree.

lieuz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Zako51 Protip: look at the tree from below because I've noticed a lot of their egg patches are located from underneath the branches and foliage. As @GrimLore has pointed out to me, this is easily treatable and takes a bit of diligence.

Zako51

Yamadori
Reaction score
So, I see these all over my tree. I will spray the whole tree. Should I also take it out of the pot and spray the entire root ball? Should I remove the soil, spray the roots and re-pot? Also, do you keep your Ficus indoors or can I put this tree outdoors? Thank you for all your help

lieuz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I keep my tree indoors until the temp outside is a steady 70 degrees F. The tree will then go out for the summer. I don't think you'll have to repot the tree, I am assuming each time you have the bugs come back, just treat it with the spray of 50/50.

Zako51

Yamadori
Reaction score
Originally, I did see some crawl into the rocks, I am guessing to latch onto the roots. Should I also spray the soil?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sounds like something else in the soil.

Mine go out after 50f.

Yeah Lieuz!

Sorce

ysrgrathe

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I don't think mealy bugs live in soil. You might just see some on surface roots. Hit them with the alcohol and it should kill them (but don't drench the soil). Check out the other thread too, you need to do this more than once to kill them all.

f1pt4

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
you could just q-tip them off dipped in some straight isopropyl. There's not too many leaves, so just go leaf by leaf, and dont forget the undersides. Might need to do it a few times, but should do the trick.

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Definitely a mealybug… Citrus mealybug to be exact
citrus-mealybug.jpg

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
And here are some mealybugs you can snuggle with.... or for your small dog.
mealybugs_2_by_weirdbuglady.jpg

dawoodsnrsy

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
These bugs are a pain in the ass to get rid of. Have to stay on top of them with spraying schedules and their reproductive schedule. Every 7-10 days if really bad or every other week re spray. I had them on a clivia plant in the amaryllis family that took me about a two years to really get the handle of how to kill them. Spray spray and spray. Every time you see them wipe doen leaves with damp paper towl and then spray undersides of leaves along with the entire plant. The bugs can live in dead and live plant material. Hope this helps

Top Bottom