Tip dieback in Eastern Hemlock 'Jervis'

Halifax

Sapling
Reaction score
Hi Friends,

Looking for some help with an eastern hemlock 'Jervis' that is suffering from tip dieback. I received it from a friend back in August and repotted it out of necessity in a conifer bonsai mix pH 5.5. It seemed to be doing well but the tips have been dying back over the past 2 to 3 weeks. New to hemlock cultivation and I can't find anything on the web related to small culture (it's all about landscape scale hemlock issues, which as a forest ecologist in New England, I am quite familiar with that subject (adelgids, loopers, etc.).

Ideas appreciated. I know that I did something wrong. I did not muck around with the roots too much, just got rid of the encircling roots.

Thanks!

IMG_2908crp.png

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Hard to say for sure.

Perhaps the removal of the encircling roots was a bit too much. It does look like it has gotten too dry between watering one or more times. Is that a possibility. If you see no pest, don't spray. If dying off has stopped progressing it just may be damage from being repotted in august. It should grow out of it.

About 'Jervis' - this is one of the slowest growing of hemlock cultivars. In working with it try to use all the foliage you have. If a design idea depends on the tree growing a new branch here, or filling out there, it won't happen in a reasonable amount of time. It will take 'Jervis' 5 or more years to grow as much as a normal hemlock in one. year. Just a heads up. It is a slow one.

Halifax

Sapling
Reaction score
Hi Leo,
Thanks very much. I'll bet that one side of the pot heated up in the sun, since I grow on my south-facing open porch. No bugs seen. I did trim the dead tips back, let's see how it goes.
I'm a big hemlock fan, so slow to grow is OK with me. Thanks again for the info.

Halifax

Sapling
Reaction score
Hi Japonicus,
It's doing well. I put all of my hemlocks in the shadiest part of the pergola and that's helping me keep a better eye on them since they all pretty much need the same care.
I cut back all of the dead tips and they healed ... we'll see if tip growth kicks in this year.
Thanks!

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hi Japonicus,
It's doing well. I put all of my hemlocks in the shadiest part of the pergola and that's helping me keep a better eye on them since they all pretty much need the same care.
I cut back all of the dead tips and they healed ... we'll see if tip growth kicks in this year.
Thanks!
Excellent! Don't be a stranger keep us up to date :)
Thanks for the quick reply.
I believe the late repot is the answer here to the tips dying back and watering.
Fall tends to be pretty dry here. I bought a hinoki seka back mid October that
had been repotted 2 weeks prior in Georgia, and it suffered a huge die off of mostly the crown
but also included some side branches. The centre is all but gone in the nicest piece I bought
in over a decade.
Curious if you know how old yours is?

Jzack605

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
You re-potted in august? Did you bare root? What made it necessary to do a re-pot on such a small tree?

Doesn’t seem like the opportune timing to do this.

Top Bottom