Tips for collecting ivy

Muchas_Plantas

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a/
In my hunt I have discovered a few very thick and old ivy vines near me id like to possibly collect. they are a good 4 inches in diameter and encompass almost the entire forest. i notice it looks like they have little root nodes growing out of the trunk, which could be just to grab hold with, but i was wondering if anyone had experience with collecting ivy and could share some knowledge as to when and how to do so?

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Depends on species. Please provide pics
In my hunt I have discovered a few very thick and old ivy vines near me id like to possibly collect. they are a good 4 inches in diameter and encompass almost the entire forest. i notice it looks like they have little root nodes growing out of the trunk, which could be just to grab hold with, but i was wondering if anyone had experience with collecting ivy and could share some knowledge as to when and how to do so?

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Ivy over here is tough. Can be cut back to a stump and will sprout new shoots from bare wood. Grows new roots from any piece that is left touching the ground. We spend more time trying to kill ivy than looking for good bonsai specimens.
The little root nodes on the trunks of trees are designed to hold on to walls or trees but they can also be roots if there is some moisture or soil so if you find a good part of the trunk on a tree just cut it off and plant into a pot. Even with almost no roots it should start to grow.
In my climate I would try taking ivy any time of year. If you get really cold winter maybe spring or summer would be better to allow the plant to grow some more roots before going into cold season.
Ivy is so good at growing from any pieces, even if there are no roots at all so I would not worry about extracting long roots. Just cut roots to fit into a pot.
Your real challenge will be to find some trunks with good taper but you should be able to find some spots with side branches and remove the main trunk above to get better taper in the trunk.

Muchas_Plantas

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a/
great all of you thank you for the information. i will keep posted on my success or failures but there are a loooot of vines where im going so this should be fun!

Top Bottom