Tips for my Ginkgo Bonsai

mrt

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello,
this summer I got this Ginkgo tree I show in the attachments.
I would like to get some tips what I could do with it, as I am still in the beginner phase.....
What I like about the tree is that it has, for a Ginkgo, very very small leaves. I believe it is a special cultivar, but I don't know which one - but the leaves are indeed only about 1.5cm in diameter, so indeed very tiny.
I also like that the tree has a nice branch structure. Also, in the lower part, it has a really nice bark!
However, I don't like the big clump that has formed further up the trunk, and I am also not sure if I like the mess of roots that are on the surface.

Any recommendations what to do?
I was thinking about whether I should airlayer it, BUT as a beginner, I think I don't have enough experience and in my opinion, the risk failure is a bit too high.
Could it be possible to thicken the trunk somehow in the lower part?
Also, about the style, any recommendations how to prune?
I can also post more pictures.

Attachments

• 20221117_082425.jpg
    20221117_082425.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 121
  • 20221117_082429.jpg
    20221117_082429.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 119

Calnicky

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
please post your location in your profile so we know what to tell you about growing that tree in your climate.

I'm growing a literati ginkgo but the traditional ginkgo shape is "flame-style". Google it for pics.

Looks like maybe yours should go into the ground for a while to work on getting rid of that reverse taper. May not "unreverse" though.

Attachments

• Ginkgo-biloba-literati.jpg
    Ginkgo-biloba-literati.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 118

jandslegate

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Take it out of the pot and plant in the ground
Agree with this. I have one closing in on 2 yrs in the ground. Still has a lot more bulking up to go, heh. I was able to get a few cuttings to root this summer. So that's always a plus. If you're able to line up pruning with the sweet spot for roots striking then that's something to look forward to.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Air layer at bulge. Woohoo! 2 trees.
There’s threads here about air layer on ginkgo. 😄

Cmd5235

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
That reverse taper is brutal. Put that tree in the ground for a few years to thicken the trunk (and get the foliage more in proportion). If that doesn’t work, later it and get two trees

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
That ginkgo is almost certainly grafted. The trunk above the graft has grown thicker more than the root stock. Pretty sure that will not grow out and will probably get worse rather than better.
About the only solution to overgrown grafts is to layer at or above the bulge. I have not heard of a gingko cultivar that will not layer but that's one of the risks when you don't know the cultivar names..
However, I don't like the big clump that has formed further up the trunk,
excess branches are totally up to your pruning skills. In areas with too many branches prune excess right off. You cannot hurt gingko by pruning.
I am also not sure if I like the mess of roots that are on the surface.
Also totally up to you. The easiest solution is to add some more potting soil to cover exposed roots but long term you need to get brave and take off wayward roots. I'd be doing a full bare root repot in spring and untangling all the roots, pruning any going the wrong direction and directing any good ones. Again, don't worry. It is hard to kill a gingko through root pruning too. They are a very resilient species.

Do not expect quick results from any gingko. They are one of the slowest species to develop branching and ramification.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
certainly grafted
Indeed! Only salvation if not air layer is MANY MANY years in ground and questionable if even 10" trunk would overcome that graft. Hope you got a steal of a deal on it🤣. Many do use boring "flame" style. Break out, do something interesting and different like real tree style.

Top Bottom