Tips on collecting Coast Live Oak (Quercus agrifolia)?

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have recently moved (again), but this time within the same climate zone. I find myself in Monterey County, California, a little north of the city of Monterey. Great location! I'm really stoked that I found a job that lets me make a living here.

It looks like I have the opportunity to collect many coast live oak (Q. agrifolia). I realize it's past time for collecting this year, but I was hoping some of you ( @PaulH ?) may be able to provide some collecting tips for this species?

Brian

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I thought I'd seen some tips from PaulH before - finally found them in a previous oak collecting thread....

"I've collected both Coast Live Oak and Interior Live Oak. These are the easiest to collect successfully. Other California species are much more difficult. I've learned that you will get a much better survival rate if you completely defoliate the tree when collecting. Both species bud back very vigorously so I'm mainly looking for a good trunk when choosing a tree to collect. Larger trees (3" - 8" dia. at the base) have more stored energy than saplings and of course can become bonsai sooner. Small feeder roots near the base are what you want, if they're not present don't dig the tree. If you have feeder roots you flat cut the tap root leaving only the small roots. Plant in a good draining soil, I use straight pumice and keep moist. It'd also important to keep the trunk humid. I often cover them in a clear trash bag and keep them shaded until they bud. " PaulH

Thanks Paul.

Anyone else with some experience collecting Q agrifolia?

John P.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
No, but I’m in Laguna Beach, CA, and there are lots around here, too. Interested in hearing more experiences!

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
Hey @BrianBay9
I'm not too far away from you, down in San Luis Obispo County. I'd agree with Paul, they are relatively easy to collect. I'd recommend collecting in late winter/early spring as or right before bud swell. Get as many roots as possible, plant in a nice tight box w/ sifted pumice, place on the ground, good balance of water and oxygen and you'll have a high success rate. I'm sure you could get a way with other time periods to collect, but I think the best time is right before buds swell. Hope to see some pics in the future.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey @BrianBay9
I'm not too far away from you, down in San Luis Obispo County. I'd agree with Paul, they are relatively easy to collect. I'd recommend collecting in late winter/early spring as or right before bud swell. Get as many roots as possible, plant in a nice tight box w/ sifted pumice, place on the ground, good balance of water and oxygen and you'll have a high success rate. I'm sure you could get a way with other time periods to collect, but I think the best time is right before buds swell. Hope to see some pics in the future.

Thanks yenling. I've got several picked out for next winter. I've found a great spot I think, but you'd sure better know what poison oak looks like. And at least at this time of year keep checking for ticks if you get into the weeds. I spent maybe 2 minutes in knee high grass and picked off 17 ticks.

For those of you who don't know what a mature coast live oak can look like, I've attached a few pics from nearby.

Attachments

• Coast live oak 1.jpg
    Coast live oak 1.jpg
    353.4 KB · Views: 53
  • coast live oak 2.jpg
    coast live oak 2.jpg
    426.9 KB · Views: 54
  • coast live oak 3.jpg
    coast live oak 3.jpg
    482.5 KB · Views: 53

John P.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Nice. Here are some in Laguna Canyon (SR 133) taken while driving (passenger seat, of course):
A2F64989-50A9-483B-A027-89F440297837.jpeg5141EC95-316A-4129-B33D-280F4CB575B5.jpegCCBDB53F-C934-45DA-8E08-33529C76F248.jpeg

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice. Looks like you're about an hour south of me and maybe a bit more inland. The Spanish moss on the trees in some of my pics is a sure give away that I'm still in the coastal fog zone.

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Good stuff. I'm planning on collecting a few coastal live oaks next spring. That info from Paul and Yenling is gold.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
:eek:o_O:mad:! Consider getting clean room suit for collecting these;).

Not a joke. I have them at work. I continue hiking in the area looking at trees, and religiously checking for ticks. I'm up to 149 ticks pulled from my clothing, and zero ticks dug into my skin. I'm getting pretty good at this.

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The Spanish moss on the trees in some of my pics is a sure give away that I'm still in the coastal fog zone.

Is it really Spanish Moss or a lichen? I’ve only seen it from the road, but read recently that is California’s state lichen, Ramalina menziesii.

Is there any Spanish Moss in CA?California’s state lichen, Ramalina menziesii.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Is it really Spanish Moss or a lichen? I’ve only seen it from the road, but read recently that is California’s state lichen, Ramalina menziesii.

Is there any Spanish Moss in CA?California’s state lichen, Ramalina menziesii.

I haven't looked into it. Just looks like the Spanish moss from the southeast US. In any event, I'm sure it depends on moist air in the fog belt here.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not a joke. I have them at work. I continue hiking in the area looking at trees, and religiously checking for ticks. I'm up to 149 ticks pulled from my clothing, and zero ticks dug into my skin. I'm getting pretty good at this.

Reason for comment. Best not to get on person then have to pick off. Best fortune to find tree of dreams after all the aggravation;)

Top Bottom