tips on growing hedge maple (field maple) in the deep south.

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
A friend brought me back a small field maple from his trip to Maine for checking on his trees and watering system while he was gone. No picture, but it's a pinky sized tree about 8" tall and showed signs of a little training. I checked the hardiness rating and the range is from 5b to 8a. I'm in zone 9a here. Anyone have experience with this tree down south? Neither my buddy or I have had great success with maples here.

Caleb Campbell

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I ordered one a month ago and immediately slip potted it into a pond basket and placed it in full sun. The roots are already coming through the bottom and sides of the basket and it handled the hottest period of my horrible summers with no sign of stress, immediately after shipping. I realize this is just one month but I think it's a good sign, lots of non native trees I have would've and have been scorched pretty quickly down here in our afternoon full sun

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
When I got it two weeks ago, there were roots coming out of the bottom of the pot. I placed the pot on top of another pot filled with bonsai soil. I really didn't check closely then, but today I saw a few dark green buds forming along the branches. We'll see.

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
An update: The tree sent a decent amount of roots into the bottom pot over the last few months. The tree still has ratty looking leaves and not ONE shoot or leaf has emerged. Visually, it has not changed one iota. I guess I'll have to wait until spring to find out if it will grow.

Top Bottom