Tips on repotting both the smallest and largest of bonsai using the Mirai methodology

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Gee guys, does it really matter what Rafael calls himself? I don't think so. But whatever, Rafael, keep your head high and keep trying to improve your art ;)

a0kalittlema0n

Sapling
Reaction score
The issue everyone is having with Rafael calling himself a student of so many people is because the term student (while technically can mean I read a book of someone or some subject) is something that is typically considered a much higher level of study when discussing bonsai. I've never once said "I'm a student of Ryan Neil". I've said "I subscribe to Mirai," and "I don't have a teacher, but I learn from Ryan Neil, so I guess he is my teacher?" but never have I said or believed that I am his student. Student bring to mind the image of sitting in school for 6 hours a day for 12 years. A Piano teacher has student that has lessons every week for an hour. Even that wouldn't hold much weight when compared to bonsai apprenticeship.

Then while generally overstating his direct interaction with these professionals goes on to "teach" and use the "fact" that he has studied with so many professionals as a backbone to why you should subscribe to his videos and methods that he is teaching. Whether he designed to do that or not is irrelevant, but it is what he is projecting. I've talked to Randy Knight and asked him plenty of questions about collecting trees. Doesn't mean I stamp his name on my forehead whenever I talk to people about collecting to show I'm his "student". That would be completely arrogant, misleading, and be a misrepresentation of what Randy even said to me (hence Ryan asking you to remove anything relating to him and his business from the name of your videos).

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The issue everyone is having with Rafael calling himself a student of so many people is because the term student (while technically can mean I read a book of someone or some subject) is something that is typically considered a much higher level of study when discussing bonsai. I've never once said "I'm a student of Ryan Neil". I've said "I subscribe to Mirai," and "I don't have a teacher, but I learn from Ryan Neil, so I guess he is my teacher?" but never have I said or believed that I am his student. Student bring to mind the image of sitting in school for 6 hours a day for 12 years. A Piano teacher has student that has lessons every week for an hour. Even that wouldn't hold much weight when compared to bonsai apprenticeship.

Then while generally overstating his direct interaction with these professionals goes on to "teach" and use the "fact" that he has studied with so many professionals as a backbone to why you should subscribe to his videos and methods that he is teaching. Whether he designed to do that or not is irrelevant, but it is what he is projecting. I've talked to Randy Knight and asked him plenty of questions about collecting trees. Doesn't mean I stamp his name on my forehead whenever I talk to people about collecting to show I'm his "student". That would be completely arrogant, misleading, and be a misrepresentation of what Randy even said to me (hence Ryan asking you to remove anything relating to him and his business from the name of your videos).

Why should anyone have any issue with who I call my teachers? I call my teachers those people I learn from. I learn in person from Walter Pall and Jim Doyle twice yearly for very intensive 3 day workshops at a time. I learn online and interact directly (even if not in person) multiple times weekly for over 3 years now with Ryan Neil. Now, in my books the level of feedback I get either in person for about 12h/day for 6 days a year with Walter Pall and Jim Doyle or 4h online per week with multiple interactions and feedback from Ryan Neil qualify for me as calling him a teacher and is not the same from a myriad of other sources where I also learn a lot from, other people that I come across, be it my fellow local bonsai practitioners or online, but I don't call all these other sources are my teachers. So, I have 3 people that I call my teachers Ryan Neil, Walter Pall and Jim Doyle. I don't care if you or anyone else other than RN, WP and JD agree or not with it. By stating who I call my teachers, you can have an idea of the sort of approaches I follow. You will not see me doing what Boom does for example, a valid but different approach. I do have other influences and these are Nick Lenz, Dan Robinson and for the more sculptural (less naturalistic) other end of the scale in bonsai, Kimura. I am not trying to convince you to subscribe to my channel but know one thing. None that I presented as teachings by RN or WP are wrong. I stand by all the information that I put out there. Lastly, I frankly don't care if you stamp Randy Knight's name in your forehead. Perhaps you should but don't forget to do it mirror image so you can read it every morning.

a0kalittlema0n

Sapling
Reaction score
I'm not saying anyone should have an issue with it, but I tried to explain why people are having an issue with it. You don't have to agree with my explanation of why people have issue with it, but the fact is there are plenty of people riled up about it.

Lastly, I frankly don't care if you stamp Randy Knight's name in your forehead. Perhaps you should but don't forget to do it mirror image so you can read it every morning.

I know you don't care, because you do the same thing with other professionals. Also the point would be so other could read it and immediately respect me regardless of what I say, so I wouldn't put the mirror image version of his name. Thanks though ;)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I want to be a student and a influencer of @Rafael Najmanovich. The way you gave comment too Bjorn on hedge pruning. Why? ga hulp zoeken GGZ helpt je wel. idiot. En nu ff lekker je smoel houden. Pannekoek.

Hey Ruben, I don't speak dutch but google does and I think the rules of this forum don't allow for insult no matter what the language. Typical behaviour when people can't make logical arguments. As for Bjorn on hedge pruning, I will not reopen that conversation but will say that he publicly showed how little he knows about the technique or the results you can get with it. It is not my place to defend the technique though.

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'm not saying anyone should have an issue with it, but I tried to explain why people are having an issue with it. You don't have to agree with my explanation of why people have issue with it, but the fact is there are plenty of people riled up about it.

I know you don't care, because you do the same thing with other professionals. Also the point would be so other could read it and immediately respect me regardless of what I say, so I wouldn't put the mirror image version of his name. Thanks though ;)

I have no idea what you're talking about.

sneutrino

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
C'mon, it's fun watching PhDs fight over bonsai lineage ... that never happens in real life ;)

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well that's 10 minutes I'll never get back again...

But, and you too @Carol 83 ...
I'm taking "carmelized cashews" out of this.
Never knew that was a thing. And..well..it won't be more than an idea until Carol posts the Chop like, "carmelized cashews encrusted smoked for 6 days" or some shit, making me wanna start running south!

I learned a lot about people.

And ...
If I gave a... Cared, if I cared...
I coulda learned some Dutch cusses (no thanks🤣😉) nah, I learn enough on Moto Madness! I think it was Dutch lol!

Anyway, for those still following, I have to assume that since we went on to talk about penut butter cashews and assburger or whatever the hell else that was, I'm assuming we got over the Dutch insults and that they didn't stray too far from what is acceptable here.

For the record.....

Almost everything is acceptable except threatening bodily harm or something very out of bounds like that.

It isn't really amazing, how people govern themselves when they know they don't get to take back what they say. I don't know how all these new platforms work, but I don't know of one that holds you so boldly to what you say. It's not amazing after you watch it work for so long. (It doesn't hurt to be the one who violates the policies most of the time)

See, there's a couple "deleted user's" who couldn't be associated with the dumb shit they may have said, other than them, we continue to move beyond little panty wasting spats, that would be deleted elsewhere, leaving gaps in the education, the entertainment, whatever this is.

It is Whole.

Even if whole, is entire, and this is ENTIRELY fu@ked up! Hahaha!

WTC!

There may be a lot of people here to watch the video......

We never claimed to be the right bunch to show it to!😉

Play Nice.

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
18 more minutes for me!

Them cashews though!

Sorce

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
18 more minutes for me!

Them cashews though!

Sorce
In the 90's we designed and built 6 gas fired nut caramelising machines with a rotating copper bowl. A while later the Chinese made them for half the price and probably in half the time.
Meanwhile I bought a bag of mixed organic nuts yesterday for big $$. Rancid and stale. mmmmmmm rancid.

Top Bottom