Tips on Thickening Up Bougainvillea

Apex37

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I got a few bougies recently at the local nursery. They actually had a yellow flower one, which seems harder to find. I was trying to find info on thickening up their trunks, but couldn't find a whole lot. I know ideally sticking them in the ground is probably best, but unfortunately I don't have that option. I know naturally they tend to vine, would I be best served sticking it in a big pot and letting it grow up a trellis for a bit?

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I believe Seth is doing an apprenticeship and plans on returning in the future.

There are others who do a lot of Bougies, @JoeH ? @SU2 ? I'm drawing a blank as to who else.

In general, there are two approaches to thickening trunks. Let grow long and tall without pruning, often done with pines, and many deciduous. When trying to bulk up the diameter of a trunk in a tree or shrub or vine that must be kept in a pot, there is the logistic problem of getting the pot into a protected area for winter. Letting it grow unpruned for the bulk of the growing season, then chop low enough and bring in the branches enough to be able to easily move the container in autumn, before bringing into the greenhouse or garage is the normal routine.

What thickens trunks is the total surface area of leaves the trunk supports at any given moment. Tall and leafy or wide with many branches with leaves is equally good if the total leaf surface area is roughly equal. So let grow tall, or force lots of branches with leaves, both approaches work quite well.

Key is keep lots of leaves. Then the trunk will thicken.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
@Leo in N E Illinois so I had heard. I just was asking if I recalled which aliases he went under here. I thought that was one of them. Quick search...showed it was.

He had talent...I hope he's grown in all aspects of his life. Because he could be beneficial to the bonsai community for sure. For that alone...I wish him success.

Top Bottom