Tips on where to buy starter trees online in Europe

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone

just read a comment that this tree might become available too this winter, an elm which should do well in sweden. talk to @BobbyLane

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score

just read a comment that this tree might become available too this winter, an elm which should do well in sweden. talk to @BobbyLane

except this one wont be travelling overseas im afraid. i just wouldnt trust it. the UK delivery guys are brutal enough as it is with these boxes.😊

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I can't help myself but simply like this shop very much. Especially if you want starters. They do ship, deliver in three days or so and I can only recommend their services.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I can't help myself but simply like this shop very much. Especially if you want starters. They do ship, deliver in three days or so and I can only recommend their services.

yeh ive only ever bought online trees from here, kaizen and bonsai shule wendorf. odd tree on ebay. thats it

BalconyBonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
You're welcome. And there are at least two more good shops in Germany.

bonsai.de in Munster and BonsaiSchule Wenddorf.
BonsaiSchule Wenddorf is actually the only shop I have tried so far and my feelings are a bit mixed. The positives were that the sent out my orders very quickly, they were packaged really safely and the prices seems quite good for the size of the trees. But all of the ones that I have got were quite severly pot bound, in what seemed like, really old muddy soil, I have two separate threads on here regarding these, and water almost doesn't penetrate the soil which makes it really difficult for a beginner like me to gauge if it's time to water or not etc. Maybe this is normal in all stores that sell imported trees but it has left me with a bit of a sour taste. But I might have been unlucky since it seems you have a different experience.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Is odd tree their ebay name? Trying to find...sorry to jump in on this!

yes, odd tree bonsai guy:D

im kidding, i meant as in ive bought the odd tree off ebay!
i do trade on ebay under my current username btw;)

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
I like Shoka Bonsai
I think he meant like a tree here and there on ebay as in "no particular seller".

Hahaaa isn't the internet fun! Had a little search and a load of kids reading books came up 😂

Apologies.

I was curious since I haven't had much luck on ebay. I do like Shoka Bonsai, found a few good uns on there

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Odd tree bonsai guy would be a fun ebay name...you should consider it ;)

Mm I'll have a gander, good to know!

sometimes the good stuff on ebay is too far away and those sellers only wanting to do collection in person. i dont mind posting trees, but i tend to get them into plastic pots for that.
What kaizen excel at is sending large trees in large ceramic pots all over the UK and Europe, not many want to do that.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
BonsaiSchule Wenddorf is actually the only shop I have tried so far and my feelings are a bit mixed. The positives were that the sent out my orders very quickly, they were packaged really safely and the prices seems quite good for the size of the trees. But all of the ones that I have got were quite severly pot bound, in what seemed like, really old muddy soil, I have two separate threads on here regarding these, and water almost doesn't penetrate the soil which makes it really difficult for a beginner like me to gauge if it's time to water or not etc. Maybe this is normal in all stores that sell imported trees but it has left me with a bit of a sour taste. But I might have been unlucky since it seems you have a different experience.
I would say they all grow trees in quite organic substrate because it's cheaper. If they can do it and keep trees happy and healthy all year round that's good. If the trees are delivered healthy that's proof they can. And the rest is up to us.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I would say they all grow trees in quite organic substrate because it's cheaper. If they can do it and keep trees happy and healthy all year round that's good. If the trees are delivered healthy that's proof they can. And the rest is up to us.

not only that, but they field grow many trees as do b enger. thats why youll often get a bit of field soil and grit in the mix. i would buy the trees over winter and repot in spring, when i was buying.

BalconyBonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
Yes, you are probably right. Like I said, they are the only store I have experience with so my critique might not be fair, I don't know. I think I just expected the trees to be more "ready" and prepared, for the lack of better terms. But maybe doing a repot when you receive a new tree is what you are supposed to do?

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
I’ve used them too, and had trees with excellent root development despite the soil they use. I was impressed.

Top Bottom