Tips on where to buy starter trees online in Europe

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
not always succesfull. I received broken pots with them.. Nothing wrong with the tree but still sad

thats unfortunate, but your distance would be a factor. luckily ive never had a broken pot and ive bought a lot of trees from them, just a few scrunched boxes but not to detriment of tree.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yes, you are probably right. Like I said, they are the only store I have experience with so my critique might not be fair, I don't know. I think I just expected the trees to be more "ready" and prepared, for the lack of better terms. But maybe doing a repot when you receive a new tree is what you are supposed to do?
It's hard to say yes or no, depends on many things. But if it is coming to me in spring I usually vote for repot. If not and trees look good I wait with. repotting till next spring.

meushi

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm regularly buying from the following online sellers:
Irun Bonsai in Spain
Maillot Bonsai and Maillot Erable in France. Guy Maillot has a very good selection of maple cultivars, but I tend to buy his japanese maple or zelkova "seedling sets". It's worth checking the website on a regular basis as he sometimes has a few unusual young plants listed. A few months back, I bought two 'senjumaru' japanese black pines and I now regret not buying more of them.

I've recently ordered from Yannick Kiggen in Belgium and was very happy with the transaction.

I haven't ordered yet from Galinou but I have heard good things. I don't know if they'd deliver as far as Sweden tho.

BalconyBonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
Esveld sells maples NOT meant for bonsai, mostly grafted..

Lodder has a fairly high pricepoint I find.
Kaizen bonsai is reliable, and pretty good value for money
Look at facebook "bonsai and related items for sale"
bonsai.de also on the more expensive side, but in general good quality especially if you want more than just plants
bonsaiplaza is a good reliable store, with trees at all prices (although these are all Japan imports and maybe a segment too high to start with)
Bonsai exhibition in Genk each february has more traders than you can imagine

Are you looking for something specific? I am constantly thinning my collection.
Just a quick question(and sorry if this is an ignorant one) regarding bonsaiplaza. I see alot of the trees there are these really short 10-15 cm stump like trees. Like this one:

Many of the trees there don't look like what you typically find in the other online retailer stores. Are these sold as small bonsai or would they more likely be used as a thick base for growing a taller bonsai from?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I see alot of the trees there are these really short 10-15 cm stump like trees.
These were grown in Japan to become mame/shohin. Not to be grown out.
The material by bonsaiplaza for a large part is a step further than young plants to be grown out (Although they do have them).

It is well-worth sending them an email explaining what you are looking for, and the price-point. They have a wide range of trees and not nearly all of them are in their online shop. I have spent a bit of time in their storage place this spring, and I have known Maarten (The owner) for a good few years. They are good people, with a love for the trees.

BalconyBonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
These were grown in Japan to become mame/shohin. Not to be grown out.
The material by bonsaiplaza for a large part is a step further than young plants to be grown out (Although they do have them).

It is well-worth sending them an email explaining what you are looking for, and the price-point. They have a wide range of trees and not nearly all of them are in their online shop. I have spent a bit of time in their storage place this spring, and I have known Maarten (The owner) for a good few years. They are good people, with a love for the trees.
Thanks for the explanation @leatherback ! I think I might send them an email!

Top Bottom