Tips turning brown - juniper bonsai

Remi Vitales

Seedling
Reaction score
The tips of my shimpaku juniper bonsai recently turned brown. The branches have also turned brown/white.

I removed the dead branches but did not cut anything that was green. I suspect it could be overwatering and there might be some root rot. Any suggestions on how I could get my tree back to a healthy condition?

I'm considering taking it to a bonsai place so that I can get someone to repot and clean out the roots since I don't feel comfortable doing something like that.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    505.1 KB · Views: 325

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Depending on your location...
You may want to reconsider letting anyone else do it...
Less it is someone else....

But I don't think you need em...

How long you had it?
Etc.etc.etc.....

It's definitely ill.....
But not all is lost!

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Remi Vitales

Seedling
Reaction score
Depending on your location...
You may want to reconsider letting anyone else do it...
Less it is someone else....

But I don't think you need em...

How long you had it?
Etc.etc.etc.....

It's definitely ill.....
But not all is lost!

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce
Had for about 2-3 weeks. It was a gift. When received, the tips of some branches were brown. It was a few. Definitely not as much as it is now.

I feel like I have been overwatering. There is one hole in the middle of the pot as drainage. When I water I do the finger in soil about .5-1 inch deep to check if it's dry. I feel like this method doesn't give me a good indication of whether or not the soil is damp.

Would a 'tesiometer' or whatever the moisture detector is called be a better way to determine if my tree needs to be watered?

If it is overwatering, are there solutions?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Less watering!

Hold on....I'll be right back!

Sorce

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I'm considering taking it to a bonsai place so that I can get someone to repot and clean out the roots since I don't feel comfortable doing something like that.

Before we can give you the advice you need, we need some more information:

(1) Where do you live?
(2) Where is the bonsai kept?
(3) How long have you had it?
(4) How have you cared for it? Specifically, what is your watering regimen, and have you done anything like add fertilizer, soil conditioner, or anything else...

Don't do anything drastic at this point. Do you have other photos you could post showing the tree and the pot in its entirety from the side? Can you also snap a shot of the soil?

Remi Vitales

Seedling
Reaction score
San Antonio, Texas

Tree is kept on balcony

I've had the tree for about 2-3 weeks

I have not added anything. I have been watering almost daily. But I do not have a routine. I put my finger about .5-1 inch and check if it is dry. It's not a good method so I now (it was suggested about 30 minutes ago) stuck a chopstick halfway between trunk and edge of pot to the bottom of pot.

I also added a desk fan about 4 feet away to help with air flow. It's oscillating.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    317.5 KB · Views: 312

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Your pictures really aren't good enough to diagnose anything...we need nice, clear close up pics. From where I'm standing, those brown tips could actually be pollen cones.

Remi Vitales

Seedling
Reaction score
Here are some clearer pictures.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    343.8 KB · Views: 256
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    410.2 KB · Views: 237
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    302.7 KB · Views: 227
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    329 KB · Views: 281

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's a pretty dope tree...

It seems maybe a issue at the Soil line...
Like rotting deadwood.

It doesn't waggle around does it?

Well worth saving!

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Still hard to tell, but I'm betting fungal infection....though you should check for spider mites. It doesn't appear to be too widespread, either. It wouldn't hurt to apply a copper fungicide...this will only prevent new fungal elements from developing. The best thing to do is to focus on good horticultural technique and get the tree to grow strongly. Junipers like full sun and generally don't like overly moist soils so watch the water. When the tree starts to break dormancy and grow, fertilize heavily to pump it up. Good luck with it...it's a very nice tree.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
One other thing...I've seen junipers actually get sunburned when they've been kept in the shade for a bit then immediately placed out in intense sunlight. Also, keeping trees up against a heat or light reflective wall can greatly intensify the effect of the sun. Just something to think about.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Looks like a nice tree. I'm with Dave; at first it could be pollen cones, but now I'm leaning toward one of 3 issues:

1. Chemical burn. Maybe it was sprayed with something; if not in your care, maybe before you got it. I roasted a shimp with malathion that I mixed too strong, and it looked like this. The tree recovered.
2. Dried out once. When a tree dries out, the damage usually shows up from the tips-inward.
3. Fungal. Though it's the least likely in my view; copper or funginex is a good solution.

Use that watering guide sorce posted; I see you found a skewer. If you're in a warm climate, I suspect your almost-daily watering schedule is about right. The soil looks a bit compacted, but bonsai can go much longer between repotting than we tend to think. If you've determined it needs to be repotted, and you're new, do find a club and get a hand repotting this one. The deadwood and planting angle can make the critical chore of securing the tree to the pot a bit challenging.

Good luck. I don't think the tree is in poor health, but the tips may look a bit rough until new ones grow in spring.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Something about the 2 fully dead branches make me think you lost a few connections to roots....

Like this....
The deadwood and planting angle can make the critical chore of securing the tree to the pot a bit challenging.

Was true for the last owner....
And maybe they some kind of F tied off some roots....effectively killing them, and somewhat damaging others.....

If that is the case.....
Much care should be used in getting it out...
Like....if the pot is not antique...
Maybe just break it SAFELY....
To remove it SAFELY.

Sorce

Top Bottom