Tire Swing Zelkova !*!*!*!

Reaction score
Woke up this morning to this Tire Swing tied to my Zelkova (Jap Elm). I found out later my wife did this and she saids it STAYS!!
-“Happy Wife, Happy Life”-

Some back story of this tree.... 2-3 years ago. This was close to 4ft, tall, and super thin. Looked like a branch in the ground. I bought just for experimenting with. I trunk chopped it shortly after I got it and soon after new buds popped. Ever since then I’ve been workin the branches to make Broom Style Canopy. Coming out really nice. Just need to work on getting. Some taper in the trunk.

Reaction score
The pot is made from a wooden cigar box. I took the lid off the box, cut the bottom out the box and replaced it with black plexiglass which I drilled holes in for drainage. The whole box was treated and waterproofed so it wouldn’t rot away.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Broom Zelkova usually have no taper in the lower trunk. They have a flaired nebari.

Reaction score
How do I edit my post? So I can add the picture into my post? I was in a rush towards the end of posting it that I forgot all about it haha

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Maybe weather the rope/tire some (it's soo white and clean), and that branch could use some more movement.

Stormwater

Shohin
Reaction score
Maybe weather the rope/tire some (it's soo white and clean), and that branch could use some more movement.
Woke up this morning to this Tire Swing tied to my Zelkova (Jap Elm). I found out later my wife did this and she saids it STAYS!!
-“Happy Wife, Happy Life”-

Some back story of this tree.... 2-3 years ago. This was close to 4ft, tall, and super thin. Looked like a branch in the ground. I bought just for experimenting with. I trunk chopped it shortly after I got it and soon after new buds popped. Ever since then I’ve been workin the branches to make Broom Style Canopy. Coming out really nice. Just need to work on getting. Some taper in the trunk.
you should start a “fun” bonsai thread.

Reaction score

It’s in training my friend. I have that branch down as far as I can without stressing the branch. Once it takes, which should be soon because wire has been on awhile I’ll take it off and rewrite

Reaction score
There is an unconventional thread :)

Yeah I hear ya on the rope. The rope was chose. Because it was hemp rope. Gave the look of real rope. Now since it has rained here and rope dried out it has some weathered look. It will in time for sure donto the hemp material

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Yeah I hear ya on the rope. The rope was chose. Because it was hemp rope. Gave the look of real rope. Now since it has rained here and rope dried out it has some weathered look. It will in time for sure donto the hemp material

It will weather in time, I looked up an old thread to share with others from 2015. In post #31 John starts to photo document a tree house being built in a Bonsai :) FUN is good!

https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/water-willow-oak-from-jay-wilson.18449/page-2

Grimmy

Top Bottom