Tired of Great Trees and Japanese Text?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Man, I love looking through Kokufu books, but not understanding a word of written kanji or almost any other Japanese, I have a difficult time understanding exactly what I am seeing some times. Have you ever had that experience?

Fear no more! You can get a book with the same quality trees with all English text!

Bay Island Bonsai puts on what is arguably the premier bonsai exhibit in the United States every January. They publish their book and you can order one in softcover or hardcover. Here's a link to the book from the previous two years!
http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/search?search=bay+island+bonsai&x=0&y=0

I am not selling anything, just shilling. The photography and display of these trees will blow you away. It is well worth the price regardless of what you have to pay!

Last edited:

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
If you click Chris' link then hit the preview link on the page, you can zoom for closer looks too, some nice trees. Chris are these strictly pictorials on thier shows?

Graydon

Chumono
Reaction score
Tired of great trees and Japanese text? No. Perhaps we could learn Japanese. Gasp - an American learning a foreign language. What a concept.

Looking for a resource for learning Japanese? Try here. I'm not selling anything, just shilling. There are some great study aides and are well worth the price regardless of what you have to pay!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Tired of great trees and Japanese text? No. Perhaps we could learn Japanese. Gasp - an American learning a foreign language. What a concept.

Looking for a resource for learning Japanese? Try here. I'm not selling anything, just shilling. There are some great study aides and are well worth the price regardless of what you have to pay!

Graydon, I don't know what the problem is, but I was just trying to announce BIB's books in a fun way. I speak a little Japanese, but how much do you speak, and more to the point, how much do you read? English has 26 letters. Kanji has over 3,000 characters.

I understand the whole "ugly American" thing. But let's lighten up just a little bit, please.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you click Chris' link then hit the preview link on the page, you can zoom for closer looks too, some nice trees. Chris are these strictly pictorials on thier shows?

I believe they are just pictorial. In previous years, they have had the trees shown as they were shown in previous shows. No tree can be shown two years running, so you won't find any duplicates in the books, either.

Graydon

Chumono
Reaction score
Graydon, I don't know what the problem is, but I was just trying to announce BIB's books in a fun way. I speak a little Japanese, but how much do you speak, and more to the point, how much do you read? English has 26 letters. Kanji has over 3,000 characters.

I understand the whole "ugly American" thing. But let's lighten up just a little bit, please.

I'm plenty light Chris. It's humor. Never once did I insinuate "ugly American", you called that one. For the record my Japanese is not very good but I am trying. Nothing would make me happier than to be able to open a Kokufu book and read away. One of life's goals.

And then this...

I believe they are just pictorial.

Huh? So where do we tire with trying to read Japanese text? If I understand correctly there is no text.

For the record I love Boon's stuff and books. I think I will order them both - thanks.

PS - I'm just having some fun here. I'm light dude.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorry, my friend. The light tone doesn't always come through the printed word.

I didn't say there was no text. Each tree's species and pot origin are given. But they are in English. Like this. If you can read this you can read the foreward and species. In English.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Is it available in Spanish??

Top Bottom