TJ’s Continental Divide Stone

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
This is my first attempt at suiseki. I collected this stone hiking on the Continental Divide. It reminds me of a snowy mountain. The moss spores almost give the image of a stand of aspens at the base of the mountain.

I had a lot of fun composing this piece, feeling inspired to do more in the future.

If you want to really geek out with me, all of the components of the composition are native/American. Colorado stone. The container is from DSV Pottery in Maine. Native mosses.

C8275D32-9CF2-476D-826D-59FD7C83D23E.jpeg

Critiques welcome!

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is my first attempt at suiseki. I collected this stone hiking on the Continental Divide. It reminds me of a snowy mountain. The moss spores almost give the image of a stand of aspens at the base of the mountain.

I had a lot of fun composing this piece, feeling inspired to do more in the future.

If you want to really geek out with me, all of the components of the composition are native/American. Colorado stone. The container is from DSV Pottery in Maine. Native mosses.

View attachment 403346

Critiques welcome!
It is a fabulous composition. The pot goes very well with the texture of the stone. Ideally the pot would be wider and shallower but that is in a perfect world. It just seems that the stone has no space to breath. Generally, maybe always, suiseki is a lone stone on a carved base. Your composition leans a bit toward Penjing ... ish. I think this is absolutely stunning and love that it is a rule breaker in a sense. I am planning some moss garden compositions with wood and/or stones as accessories to bonsai displays. I am making the pots this winter and will put them together towards winters end.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
It could use some tiny figurines rock climbing.
jk. Very nice how big is the pot? 6” or so?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice stone, but the pot overpowers it.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Critiques welcome!

There's something perfect about this, maybe the little orange dot, maybe the round table and triangles mimicking the stone and pot.

This feels like.... stepping out of the box and landing on solid ground.

I think of folks aren't removing expectations of what this "should" be, they are removing a lot of joy.

Sorce

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There's something perfect about this, maybe the little orange dot, maybe the round table and triangles mimicking the stone and pot.

I think of folks aren't removing expectations of what this "should" be, they are removing a lot of joy.

Sorce
Huh? maybe you have limited vision. This stone could be used in a variety of ways, including as a suiseki--IF the emphasis is on the stone.

Suiseki isn't the only art that uses stones. This could also be incorporated into a bonseki--but only a temporary thing:

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Suiseki isn't the only art that uses stones. This could also be incorporated into a bonseki--but only a temporary thing:
Eye of the beholder and so forth, but man, I find those pictures on this link hideous.
Many people worldwide hold suiseki to a standard higher than other cultures I believe. They tend to be more subtle than the Scholar Rocks of China that pre-date them by several centuries. I know they have other rock art forms in Southeast Asia, I just can't remember the names they use.
I think I have posted about this before, but when I had a store some years ago, I imported and sold a lot of Scholar Rocks. They were a lot less expensive about 15 - 20 years ago and shipping was a fraction of what it is today. It was fun and I guess I never figured they would become so expensive that I would no longer be able to justify buying them.

I don't think for a minute that this is any indication of a lack of vision. I rather appreciate and understand this view.
Huh? maybe you have limited vision.
That is the coin with two sides that will be tossed as long as there are people to view the two sides as separate.............

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Eye of the beholder and so forth, but man, I find those pictures on this link hideous.
Many people worldwide hold suiseki to a standard higher than other cultures I believe. They tend to be more subtle than the Scholar Rocks of China that pre-date them by several centuries. I know they have other rock art forms in Southeast Asia, I just can't remember the names they use.
I think I have posted about this before, but when I had a store some years ago, I imported and sold a lot of Scholar Rocks. They were a lot less expensive about 15 - 20 years ago and shipping was a fraction of what it is today. It was fun and I guess I never figured they would become so expensive that I would no longer be able to justify buying them.

I don't think for a minute that this is any indication of a lack of vision. I rather appreciate and understand this view.

That is the coin with two sides that will be tossed as long as there are people to view the two sides as separate.............
Bonseki is not suiseki. It is a separate art form. It has a deep history and influence on Japanese gardening. Not everyone's taste, but some of it is quite startling.

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Maybe this is not quite suiseki or not quite penjing...but I like it and would enjoy seeing more of it.
Thanks for sharing!

Top Bottom