To bury or not to bury?

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This comment intrigues me as i have always been told that Ume were almost impossible to air layer. Is this something that you have successfully done or do you know of someone who has? I have a couple of plants that i have considered for air layering but held off due to the advice i have received and the research i have done on the topic.
I have never attempted to air layer ume.

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Do umes even layer??? I thought grafting or seeds were the way to go.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Do umes even layer??? I thought grafting or seeds were the way to go.
There are a very few reports of successful air layers in the cultivar "Contorta". A number of years ago Owen Reich reported success and noted his techniques on a different forum.
This success involved young branches, started in May( Tennessee) cut off in October. Plastic wrap, covered in tin foil, checked weekly for moisture. More frequently in hot periods.

Cuttings are considered fairly difficult as well with low percentage of rooting particularily in the darker coloured flower cultivars. This contributes to the cost and availability of known cultivars which need to be propagated by cutting or graft!
Propogation by seed does not provide genetic purity of the cultivar.

Of course there may be other successes in air layers of Ume that i am unaware of. However, my understanding is that it is not considered an easy technique on this species by any means.

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
However, my understanding is that it is not considered an easy technique on this species by any means.

So that's another good reason to not try it on a good tree. I am still thinking that some redirection and some lower trunk burial on repoting will solve my aesthetic problem, let's see next Spring. Thanks all for the good points!

Gene Deci

Shohin
Reaction score
Everyone mentioned air layer but how many have done it successfully? I haven't try but read many said it is not easy.
It depends on species, I think. I have tried it three times, two successful one not. Actually, one ground layer and one air layer successful, one air layer not.

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
It depends on species, I think. I have tried it three times, two successful one not. Actually, one ground layer and one air layer successful, one air layer not.
We're talking about Prunus Mume, right?
Because it's pretty difficult air layering Umes, as stated before in this thread.
Could you please describe how did you do it? If there are some pictures, better!

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I'm just an interloper, eavesdropping on this thread, but I'm a little confused. I had a 'Peggy Clarke' as a yard tree that was adjacent to my bonsai benches for the purpose of yard decoration. I bought it specifically for that spot as a dwarf that wouldn't grow tall enough to shade my bonsai, but it got so big after about five years I cut it down. It was an aggressive grower and had no disease or bug problems. I would consider it a better than average Prunus, without problems, or bulletproof.

I hear all of you saying this is a problematic tree (in bonsai). I never tried to propagate it. I'm in USA 6b. The problem people seem to be in semi-tropical locales. I know that stone fruits are mostly northern trees. Is that the difference? Insufficient cold quiescent period/low enough temps during rest? This is intriguing.

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I think if you don't like this tree too much you could probably trade it for another ume with someone in Brazil. It is a cool feature and probably somebody will don interest in it.

Airlayering seems risky and planting it deep enough to hide it will give you no nebari and will always need a very deep pot.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Personally would embrace uniqueness of feature and use;). If living in US would take off your hands.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
If air layers are iffy with the species, what about a seedling root graft past the twist to the same effect. I think the twisty bit will be great with more time to develop.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
You're thinking in the worng direction. What you need to do is encourage new growth to break bud just above the twisty trunk and even on the twist and grow the tree from there, removing the straight and boring top of the tree.

Gene Deci

Shohin
Reaction score
We're talking about Prunus Mume, right?
Because it's pretty difficult air layering Umes, as stated before in this thread.
Could you please describe how did you do it? If there are some pictures, better!
I'm sorry. My post was not clear and I'm afraid I mislead you. I was trying to say that the standard techniques work for some species but not others. There may well be no techniques that work for your tree.

Owen Reich

Shohin
Reaction score
There are a number of posts by @Brian Van Fleet and I on the matter of Prunus mume. I believe also by @Leo in N E Illinois. Try searching for them here and on Bonsaistudygroup.com forum.

The quick version is, you can air layer apricots and cuttings can work, but usually die of fungal infections.

I also wrote a short intro article about Prunus mume for International Bonsai Magazine a few years ago; don’t recall the issue. Bill Valavanis will magically appear shortly to let us know which year and issue :)

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
isn't it better to have 2 trees, one you like and one you don't? (instead of one tree that you don't like)
any progress on this tree? i like the trunk line :)
Yes, great progress.
I have shortened it, tilted it, and it's thriving.

Here is the follow up on this tree:
Thread 'My Prunus Mume is begging for your help (again!)' https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/my-prunus-mume-is-begging-for-your-help-again.45009/

And the plan is to take it as as the virtual below, by the end of the season:
PROJETO-UME-2020-2.jpg

Top Bottom