To buy or not to buy

dazz

Seedling
Reaction score
1.2metres tall. used as a potted landscape feature.

juniper Holger.

JHolger_zpscef18ef5.jpg

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would buy it as we can't get stuff like that here. I found one once, but it was sold and waiting pickup. It was priced at $959. It was a bit bigger and more refined. Nuserys in Europe have great stuff like that.

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Only thing like that I can find around here is poorly designed Hollywood junipers with bad branch placement and poodle pads.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
For me, it needs to have a great base and trunk (and I can't tell from the picture what you have there). Just because it's big doesn't make it good material.

dazz

Seedling
Reaction score
its only for $250NZD bucks!! so about 220ish USD? yeah i agree. i would expect for this tree at least to have good nebari and good taper from the soil up.

hmmm so tempted to buy it...

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
As I have said before, if I have to ask whether or not I should buy a tree, I don't want it. I've never heard of holger before, so for that reason I'd pass on it. A quick Google search doesn't show much in terms of bonsai.

dazz

Seedling
Reaction score
its a juniperus squamata.

Description
Juniperus squamata, known as Single seed Juniper, is a juniper native to Himalaya and China, from north-eastern Afghanistan east to western Yunnan in south-western China.This juniper has striking blue-gray foliage that spread out like a 'blue carpet'. This prostrate variety that is especially suitable for cascade and semi-cascade styles. It has a slow to medium growth rate, of about 10' in ten years.

http://guide.makebonsai.com/bonsai_species_guide_training.asp?SpeciesID=5010

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
I never buy anything from regular nurseries at full price. It is normally the stuff that won't sell for landscape that is appealing as bonsai and I only buy if it is at least 50% off, normally I will haggle them down to 75% or more off.

Fangorn

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I never buy anything from regular nurseries at full price. It is normally the stuff that won't sell for landscape that is appealing as bonsai and I only buy if it is at least 50% off, normally I will haggle them down to 75% or more off.

I agree.
Unlike when I first started, I find that the longer I do bonsai the less regular nursery stuff appeals to me, and even the end of the year sale stuff rarely comes home with me.
But I still enjoy the hunt
And to answer the OP's question I wouldn't buy it

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd pass. If it were $75 or so, yeah, might be worth it. As it is, the branches are gangly and not placed very well, trunk has no real character or worthwhile movement...

elliott

Yamadori
Reaction score
I would pass also. If it was cheaper, and you wanted to practise how far you can bend a branch or trunk before breaking and wiring pads out and that kind of thing, but not for a quality tree.
keep your eyes open and you will find the good stuff!
Good luck

geoff hobson

Seedling
Reaction score
to buy or not

Sounds like a hell of a lot of money for what it is, no I would not buy it.
Geoff.

Top Bottom