To chop or not...

Bu-Jetjet

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
1.jpg

2.jpg

I feel like this guy and I will be at a crossroads soon and I will be making the chop-chop. I thought I could make something out of the developing upper foliage... but I just don't see it anymore.
Late Fall-Winter will tell.

*posting to document the changes and/or development*

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Suggestions have merit. Personal first instinct is to develop top of tree after bringing down somewhat. Also seeing roots perhaps some angle change with root clean up.

mapleX

Yamadori
Reaction score
I would cut the green below, change the angle of the planting and make a bunjin / literary.

coachspinks

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
View attachment 395508

View attachment 395509

I feel like this guy and I will be at a crossroads soon and I will be making the chop-chop. I thought I could make something out of the developing upper foliage... but I just don't see it anymore.
Late Fall-Winter will tell.

*posting to document the changes and/or development*
Chop, leave enough for a short shari. The shari may or may not work well but at least you have the option of removing it if it doesn't.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
From someone who wasted years trying to make that decision…yes, chop.

Bu-Jetjet

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Would make an awesome shohin if you chop it, assuming my guess of the size from the photo puts the lower foliage within shohin size
Yes, it’s approximately 8” at the top of the foliage, if I chop it.

Bu-Jetjet

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Thanks so much Brian

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would chop just to avoid the extra bud/needle work you'll have to do on a relatively un-interesting portion of your JBP. :)

This is practicality at it's finest.

I think that, seeing the upcoming crossroads is a good place to be, but you still then have to gauge your speed, to best understand when you will actually reach them. Being patient in thought in your travel.

Removing it will certainly make your design better.
Keeping it will allow it to reestablish in a small pot much faster, and not cause harm.

So keep your twelve second vision, but don't take off your helmet before you reach the intersection.

Sorce

Bu-Jetjet

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
@Brian Van Fleet I didn't even realize you included that link as a sage advice. I thought it was just part of your "signature".... That is a really good read and very informational. Thank you so much.

Top Bottom