To Cut Or Not To Cut....

molivella

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
0B16ECCA-AF11-460C-B63C-204894917358.jpeg

I found this bougainvillea yesterday at a nursery, tucked away under a bench and hidden from view behind several plants. It’s now in a 10” pot and as can be seen the trunk is 8” at the base. In time, with patience, pruning, etc. I hope to develop a triangular shaped canopy over the main trunk, offset to the right.

My consternation is whether to keep the 30” branch (that has some growth on the end) or lop it off. I would think that with time, etc, I could develop a nice pad on the end of the branch and possibly get some additional branching/pad(s) on that branch by pruning the growth on the end in the hopes of backbudding for a semi-cascade look.

I am new to this site and was hoping to get thoughts from some of you before I decide what to do. Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Ironbeaver

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Keep it for now, maybe try looking at different planting angles.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Nice Boge!

Sorce

Random User

Reaction score
If you're new to bougainvilleas, I'd just throw one caution at you... anywhere you have an open wound, you could have (or should I say "are highly likely to have OR are going to have") rot... there are a lot of boug threads on this site under "flowering" I believe... it might be worth your while to take a look at what others have done.

Anyway, thats it for me, for a while again... I'll be back in another year or two. Have fun!

molivella

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
If you're new to bougainvilleas, I'd just throw one caution at you... anywhere you have an open wound, you could have (or should I say "are highly likely to have OR are going to have") rot... there are a lot of boug threads on this site under "flowering" I believe... it might be worth your while to take a look at what others have done.

Anyway, thats it for me, for a while again... I'll be back in another year or two. Have fun!

molivella

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Yeah, I have two others and one of them has the center area of the trunk (which is even bigger than this trunk) with a lot of dead wood/cavity. I use Minwood wood hardener and some lime sulfur to treat those area on that tree and others I have with dead wood. Thanks for the heads up though.

bonsai-ben

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
I'd make the bottom long branch into 4 cuttings. Now you have a nice taper. Style and enjoy, probably trim the next long branch back a bit over time, or now, or never whatever works with bougies.

On rot, rot occurs when you keep them too wet. if anyone shows you a rotting trunk otherwise, it's one that was wet and just hasnt been cleaned up yet. Shower with a garden hose. Do you see pooling water on parts of the tree? Yes? Fix. No? Good, no new rot. Clean old away with a brass brush gently.

molivella

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'd make the bottom long branch into 4 cuttings. Now you have a nice taper. Style and enjoy, probably trim the next long branch back a bit over time, or now, or never whatever works with bougies.

On rot, rot occurs when you keep them too wet. if anyone shows you a rotting trunk otherwise, it's one that was wet and just hasnt been cleaned up yet. Shower with a garden hose. Do you see pooling water on parts of the tree? Yes? Fix. No? Good, no new rot. Clean old away with a brass brush gently.
I never thought of making 4 cuttings from the long branch - just one. But I see what you’re saying and it makes sense if I cut it all the way back at the junctions of the trunk.

Someone suggested notching in several places along the long branch to see if some growth develops. If so, it might make an interesting semi cascade. If not, I can always cut the long branch off as you suggested and take off part of the branch above it too.

I’ll know better what to do once the growing season kicks in and growth begins to develop. Thanks for the thoughts.

Top Bottom