To Graft or Not to Graft?

bonsaianak

Seedling
Reaction score
So I have a field grown sabina juniper that I have been working on. With grafting season approaching, I was hoping to get some advice on whether or not I should graft shimpaku onto it or just develop the foliage that is already on it. The problem with the sabina is that it has about 30% juveline foliage currently. Would it be faster to develop the original foliage, or should I graft kishu scions onto it this next upcoming grafting season?
IMG_5075.jpg

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
It will definitely be quicker to develop the existing foliage because that's already there and growing. The real question is whether the sabina foliage looks good.
Grafting another variety can take a few years if some of the grafts fail and have to be redone next year. The grafted branches will need to grow for a few years to gain strength before you get back to the stage you are now. Then there's further years to develop pads on the new branches.
I really like the tight, neat foliage of chinensis and have been frustrated by the openness of sabina so I would go for grafting.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Sabina, just like some RMJ can have tight foliage that's comparable to chinensis.
So it's a matter of personal preference as well as the type of foliage you're having.

But I think the answer is pretty obvious if you're considering it.. I mean, the question to graft or not doesn't arise out of the blue. I'd go for it.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would be grafting more to remove structural flaws than for folaige preference.

Sorce

bonsaianak

Seedling
Reaction score
It will definitely be quicker to develop the existing foliage because that's already there and growing. The real question is whether the sabina foliage looks good.

I really like the tight, neat foliage of chinensis and have been frustrated by the openness of sabina so I would go for grafting.
Thanks for the insight. The sabina foliage currently on the tree is quite coarse, hence the reason why i wanted to know how long the developmental period takes.

But I think the answer is pretty obvious if you're considering it.. I mean, the question to graft or not doesn't arise out of the blue. I'd go for it.
True. Just wanted to get some more clarity before doing so. Appreciate the input.

I would be grafting more to remove structural flaws than for folaige preference.

Sorce
Structure is definitely another factor I was considering. I don't know if you can really tell but the trunk shoots straight back about 8 inches before coming back forward to create the apex. So I was thinking grafting would allow me to bring the foliage lower and more towards the front. Thanks for the input.

Top Bottom