To Grow or to Train...

DrTolhur

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I acquired this amur maple earlier this spring, and I'm trying to decide my course of action. I know it needs to do a lot of growing, but the question is whether or not to do any directing of that growth at this point or just let it go completely this year. I'm not a fan of the 3-way split at the top, so I'm figuring something's gonna get snipped there at some point. Leaning toward the right side branch. I like smaller bonsai, like shohin or smaller, so I'm not really looking for the mature version to be any taller than it currently is. I know it'll likely need to get taller off-and-on during the development process, but just to give you an idea of my broader goal down the line.

So what are y'all's thoughts/advice on this tree? Should I prune one of the branches at the top? Do any wiring while they're still nice and small? Just leave it as-is and re-examine it next year? Thanks.

P.S. I'm kinda playing around with that bottom-most branch to see if I can do some cascade/semi-cascade with it just for kicks. Regardless, at the very least, I figure it'll be a sacrificial branch for the lower trunk even if it never looks good.

IMG_2298.JPG

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd look to chop it to the lowest branch someyear.

Sorce

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I’d.......Skip the cascade style thinking. I don’t think the tri-split is that bad really. Just my view. I’d remove the left branch from the tri-split and concentrate on moving that lower branch up to replace it while building a canopy. The lower branch coming up is in a good place following that curve of the trunk to build a tree. The tree needs growth. I think letting those three branches grow, cut back, grow again, put out side branches, cut more, grow, and the, before to long you’ll have the makings of a tree.....a short tree.
12CB1BB0-498A-4C2E-8812-1AE42BF10DA0.jpeg

Top Bottom