To JIN or not to JIN - Precumbens NANANANA

YukiShiro

Chumono
Reaction score
Hennops River Valley,Gauteng,South Africa
USDA Zone
8b
Hi Guys,

Am busy styling this precumbens. It was had a huge green helmet on. Saw the tree within the bush and started styling. I'm at the point where I'm wiring all the fine branches (1/3 done). Took a pic and saw something that I should consider
20200915_185927.jpg

Jin that heavy bottom right branch ?

If I keep it I would tilt the tree more to the right and bend the upper trunk more to the left, style it as a semi cascade

best regards
Herman

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You could Jin it. You could keep it.

You could keep it, and remove everything else, and turn it into a cascade!

Decisions, decisions...

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I always wanted to cheer that song when we had a Jude on our team. We were looking at them old pictures just yesterday!

I wouldn't do it yet. Seems time is allowing at least a couple years to ponder.

Sorce

YukiShiro

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
You could Jin it. You could keep it.

You could keep it, and remove everything else, and turn it into a cascade!

Decisions, decisions...

did consider removing everything else, but the trunk line would look a little bit funny to me so I decided not to be overly sadistic to the tree xD

best regards
Herman

YukiShiro

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I always wanted to cheer that song when we had a Jude on our team. We were looking at them old pictures just yesterday!

I wouldn't do it yet. Seems time is allowing at least a couple years to ponder.

Sorce

yeah dood , I'm in no rush to cut off any more than I've already have. took off half the tree in seconds.... and I was just planning to do some cleaning and thinning lol

best regards
Herman

thatguy

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I like that right hand branch personally! I'd vote to keep it. Would at some point refine the jin I can see on the left side at the trunk. Bringing it down to a more natural end point as opposed to being perfectly straight across. Would also visually make the trunk thinner there and flow better imo

YukiShiro

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
UPDATE:

so....someone broke off the whole apex on this back in Feb. Dunno who, none of the neighbors claimed ownership of his shitty design decision....

here's me trying to wire a new apex :
IMG-20210421-WA0003.jpg
finger pointing to the old apex:
IMG-20210421-WA0005.jpg

Came spring I fertilized the tree heavily and left it to grow...forgot to take before pictures :|
but the tree was extremely vigorous and I could come in with a hard cutback to set up the tertiary branching.
the very long branch was taken off and a new front was chosen for the tree:

20211027_101440.jpg

Apex came back with a bang

20211027_101445.jpg

branching structure setup by pruning:

20211027_101501.jpg

the apex still needs some bending in the right places, will make those bends next year March

any comments welcome

best regards
Herman

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
any comments welcome
Right now your tree would benefit tremendously by detailed wiring - every branch out to the tip. The leggy growth at the ends of the branches is making the tree look messy, and it is difficult to understand your design.

YukiShiro

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Right now your tree would benefit tremendously by detailed wiring - every branch out to the tip. The leggy growth at the ends of the branches is making the tree look messy, and it is difficult to understand your design.
I agree,
But it's a really bad time to wire junipers for me atm. we are almost in summer...

I'll wire it in fall(march-may next year)

thanks for the reply C:

best regards
Herman

Top Bottom