To leave or not to leave fruit?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I picked up a toyo nishiki quince on a whim a few months back from a club member and its been doing great! I picked off most of the dead flowers but missed a few and now it has a few fruits on it. Any reason why I should or.shouldnt leave these fruits alone? IMG_20190523_071706.jpg

Tommykeolle

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Just parroting what I've heard from other posts regarding fruiting... Most people prevent from fruiting to allow the tree to use that energy developing other areas. I have wanted to get something that produces some fruit but i'm afraid I would want to go against that same advice to see the fruit!

Edit: I guess your question was if you should remove the fruit, not if you should prevent it! I would think it depends on how much energy it will expend trying to sustain the fruit vs if it was removed.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Just parroting what I've heard from other posts regarding fruiting... Most people prevent from fruiting to allow the tree to use that energy developing other areas. I have wanted to get something that produces some fruit but i'm afraid I would want to go against that same advice to see the fruit!

Edit: I guess your question was if you should remove the fruit, not if you should prevent it! I would think it depends on how much energy it will expend trying to sustain the fruit vs if it was removed.

Yeah, I removed most of the fruits after the flowers wilted but somehow missed these three. Its been growing very vigorously until the heat ramped up here the last week or so. They look kinda neat so I may just leave them unless someone jumps in here like "nooooooooooo!"

garywood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Art, the fruit is green. Green means chlorophyll which means it makes sugar (energy). Whether or not it is enough to supply the fruit with all the energy requirements is just a guess. I don't know of any studies on this but I suspect ti does. The fruit requires more water.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yup, it's about the water consumed while setting fruit. I've a mid-size crab apple that I'll remove the forming fruit from this weekend. At this point, shoots wilt within 3 hours of watering!!!:D:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Art, the fruit is green. Green means chlorophyll which means it makes sugar (energy). Whether or not it is enough to supply the fruit with all the energy requirements is just a guess. I don't know of any studies on this but I suspect ti does. The fruit requires more water.
I miss your blog so much :(

Top Bottom