PowerTap

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
PXL_20221015_195903592.jpg
So I bought this mica training pot from Wigerts for this pinus contorta. Because I bought online and it's a first training pot, I went mostly on dimensions. The tree is 28 in from soil to top. The pot is 16in across and 4in deep. Which should fit the sizing rules of 2/3 the height or width and depth are equal to the height of the tree.

But looking at it the pot feels too big for the tree. And I'm not sure if that is a visual thing because it is a pot in a pot, or if it's too wide for the foliage I have?

Advice for a beginner is appreciated.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think that pot is appropriate for a plant going from a nursery pot to a bonsai pot. Pine needs to grow out vigorously and needs root space at this stage of development. I am done repotting except for slip potting in my zone 6. Zone 8b is really mild so you may be ok to pot now. I would check with someone in your area.

thebonsaiproject

Yamadori
Reaction score
I think your gut feeling is right, but I also think some of it is because the tree is still being fleshed out. I'm definitely still learning pots so I can't give much advice on why but here are two pots I think complement the tree better at its current stage.

bonsai.pngbonsai (1).png
You could use this tool to try some others. I'm mentioning this because I have been in the same situation and is the exact reason, I made it. Even if you prefer a particular style of pot, it might give you insight on the depths and widths you like.

I think that pot is appropriate for a plant going from a nursery pot to a bonsai pot. Pine needs to grow out vigorously and needs root space at this stage of development. I am done repotting except for slip potting in my zone 6. Zone 8b is really mild so you may be ok to pot now. I would check with someone in your area.
I think penumbra is right and I may have missed the point if like you said, it is a first training pot.

PowerTap

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I was going to repot in the spring, I styled it in September so I'll let it hang out all winter.

But good to know the pot is a decent size.

Scorpius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Pot is much to large for that Shore pine. Shore pines like smaller pots and dryer conditions. Your new pot satisfies neither.

Top Bottom