To paint or not to paint

GOZTEK

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
HI all, Where i live it is very difficult to get decent pots, or at least pots that will look good for bonsai. I have lately convinced the store to get some large ones (i can always get small ones from ebay or something) So he got me some large ones but they are all the same, they are not so bad and as you can see from the attachment, it has some flower design on them. I wanted some ideas if i should pain the flowers myself as all the pots are white. What do you think?

Attachments

• pot.jpg
    pot.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 55

sfhellwig

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I would usually shy away from a pot with a design but as long as you don't accentuate it too much that pot could look good. I would maybe do a nice natural earth tone wash on the whole pot. Then maybe another color for the entire flower pattern that compliments, not contrasts. I have not painted any pots myself but based on design in general and the pots I have seen I think that could work out. I have seen pots similar to the pic where the flower is fully painted (stem, petals, all different colors) and it tends to detract from the tree.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Do NOT paint anything on the pot. You might think about trying to weather the pot with glass etching paste...The pot is already pretty ostentacious--showy. Painting it will not only highlight the worst on the pot, it will underline it.

Also, you might want to look into local potters, or European potters in neighboring countries. There are literally dozens of them in Germany, Italy, Czech Republic, U.K. France, The Netherlands, the list goes on. If you do a search online, you will find them.

You might also seek out other bonsaiists willing to part with their old pots via trade, sale, etc. via post if there aren't any around you.

Top Bottom