"To prune, or NOT to prune?"

tmjudd1

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I purchased a 9 year old pre-Bonsai Chinese Elm, (my first Bonsai project), and it arrived exactly one week ago. I've since been staring at it, from different angles, and doing absolutely 'nothing' but keeping the soil from getting bone dry while letting the tree adjust to its new outdoor home. The front of the tree, as it was shipped to me, is indeed the best view and quite pleasing... especially 'after' I elevated one side of the pot, tilting it up at an angle. I'm now starting to see a future shape that I desire, however. We're also slipping into winter here in Dallas. My nights are currently dropping into the mid to low 30's... and the days going up to about 50 degrees, give or take. It'll soon be getting much colder as we move deeper into winter. My question is; "Can I do some light pruning on small branches/twigs during this time of the year?" There is a bit of branching, here and there, that I want to permanently remove... or should I wait to prune, until spring, just before the growing season begins?

Top Bottom