To Repot or Not

msquared

Seedling
Reaction score
Hello. I'm new to the forum, and bonsai in general. A few days ago, I purchased a small Japanese juniper from a local nursery. After researching the tree more, I've found that the soil it is potted in (looks like potting soil) doesn't work well for the tree, so I ordered some bonsai soil mix that will arrive on Friday. My question is, should I remove the old soil and repot now (I've read that this isn't the optimal time to Repot), or should I leave the tree in the potting mix until spring and repot then? The temperature where I live is currently fluctuating quite frequently. One day, it's 80F, and the next, it's in the 30s. Thanks for your suggestions.

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score
Photos would help. Location would be great, zone etc before anyone can really comment.

msquared

Seedling
Reaction score
Thanks. I am in the southern United States, zone 9. Picture attached. The pebbles in the photo aren't mixed throughout the soil, they're just on top.

Attachments

• 20191127_075303.jpg
    20191127_075303.jpg
    262.5 KB · Views: 38

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Repotting on Friday is good. If I were you, I’d repot on Friday, February 14th, 2020. Valentine’s Day!

The best time to repot juniper is early spring.

msquared

Seedling
Reaction score
Repotting on Friday is good. If I were you, I’d repot on Friday, February 14th, 2020. Valentine’s Day!

The best time to repot juniper is early spring.
So the tree will be OK in the potting mix it's planted in till then?

Bolero

Omono
Reaction score
OK Listen up.... You can Repot any time just be sure to leave the Roots alone and leave 2 or 3 inch's of the original soil around the roots, Juniper like rather Shallow pots, like 2" or 3" height...

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score
I thought it was better to repot when the tree is dormant or just coming out of dormancy. I have never repotted this time of the year. Not saying anyone is right or wrong, just my understanding. Of course there is repotting and then there is repotting...

Bolero

Omono
Reaction score
I thought it was better to repot when the tree is dormant or just coming out of dormancy. I have never repotted this time of the year. Not saying anyone is right or wrong, just my understanding. Of course there is repotting and then there is repotting...
If you don't mess wit the roots it doesn't matter when you repot...
If you remove all original soil from around the roots and do some root pruning then it matters a whole lot...

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If you don't mess wit the roots it doesn't matter when you repot...
If you remove all original soil from around the roots and do some root pruning then it matters a whole lot...
The whole purpose of this repotting is to replace the soil it’s in now. Which would entail messin’ with the roots. So, yes, he should wait until late winter/early spring.

Josh88

Shohin
Reaction score
An important thing to remember on this and any forum, is to get a sense of who is offering you information. You will always get conflicting answers, and as time passes you will get to know who to listen to and who to kindly ignore. Look up members' other threads and posts if you want to get a better sense of who is offering you their gems of wisdom. You will find a wide range of skill level and horticultural knowledge here, but not necessarily a difference in their willingness to offer advice.

msquared

Seedling
Reaction score
Thank you all for the advice. I'll be sure to do my best to let the soil dry completely between watering, and I'll wait till February to repot and replace the soil.

Bolero

Omono
Reaction score
Thank you all for the advice. I'll be sure to do my best to let the soil dry completely between watering, and I'll wait till February to repot and replace the soil.
Don't let it dry completely that will hurt the roots...a little moist is best, buy that Hygrometer....

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Who told you to let it dry completely?

No, the point is you don’t want it to be “soggy”. Moist is ok.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If the tree is alive next year repot in the late spring once you see new growth growing.
No need to buy a water meter either.
Your finger is a great instrument for gaging moistness.
Mine is.

Top Bottom