To the place of my birth...

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
We are going on vacation!!

This will be the longest I have ever been away from my plants.

I got @liquid_back_draft to tend to them for 4-5 days.. so my mind is at ease. I will give him the “run-through” once or twice, and all will be well.

Headed out Virginia-way...

To Virginia Beach.. my partner and HorseadmirerSkinnies have never seen the Ocean... so I intend to change that.

Will be passing through Portsmouth, the place of my birth, also.

Any other recommendations?

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I highly recommend the Museum at Jamestown. Really impressive. Also liked the new Yorktown Museum and Colonial Williamsburg.
If you like camping or hiking you need to visit First Landing State Park in VA Beach. Great trails and lots of natural wonder. Back Bay is also awesome as is the primitive campground at Sandbridge.
Not sure of your dates but the last weekend of Sept is the Neptune Festival. Count on 50,000 visitors, live bands and one of the best art & craft shows on the east coast. Oh, don't forget the Maritime Museum & Aquarium. Oh, and the Pizza place by Ruddy Inlet always has Reggae bands on weekends. That is a treat.
Got to say I am green with envy. I was in the habit of camping, swimming and hiking down there for a week every year but due to circumstances beyond my control I have not been able to do this for about 4-5 years.
One of my best memories was about 10 years ago when I was swimming and a small pod of dolphins was playfully swimming and jumping around me. I could feel them through the water and they came within 6 or 8 feet of me. You just can't imagine what that is like unless it happens to you. It was paramount to a religious experience. If there is / was a God, he was there that day. Certainly the divinity within me was.
Have the best time my friend.

I was so excited I almost forgot the Norfolk Botanical Gardens.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
We always talk about how going for a walk in the dark to the beach in SC was the coolest moment we ever had together.

Something about smelling it, and hearing it before you see it that is unlike any other feeling.

I hope you have moments like that.

Sorce

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

Headed out Virginia-way...

Any other recommendations?

I second colonial Williamsburg.

Also recommend one leg of your journey, if you are driving, to go across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge/tunnel and up the eastern shore of Virginia. Chincoteague National Wildlife Refuge is a nice place to stop for a walk and you might see some of the wild ponies.

There are also lots of historical sights around the area of Williamsburg

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
We always talk about how going for a walk in the dark to the beach in SC was the coolest moment we ever had together.

Something about smelling it, and hearing it before you see it that is unlike any other feeling.

I hope you have moments like that.

Sorce

The smell of the ocean is one of my favorite smells in the whole world. So clean and fresh. Living where I do, if conditions are right, there are mornings I come out of my house and I can smell the ocean from 3 miles away.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The smell of the ocean is one of my favorite smells in the whole world. So clean and fresh. Living where I do, if conditions are right, there are mornings I come out of my house and I can smell the ocean from 3 miles away.
I sure do concur with that. My smell is particularly keen though most of my senses have faded over the years. ( this is not always a good thing) Its been 5 years since I could enjoy the smell of the great mother of earth and all living things upon it. There has been times and conditions when I could smell the ocean from as much as 15 miles away, and possibly more.
She is also the great healer. I have stories I could tell.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was going to pass but I have to share this. I was at a beach house with my parents, brother and sister in Duck NC when the 1st Dessert Storm began. It was the last time we all shared together. When all hell broke out on TV, my brother and sister were glued to the events. My parents sorta tried to ignore it, and I felt downright ill. My sister and I had planned to drive down to Cape Hatteras the next morning but I couldn't get her away from the abomination on the TV. So I took off on my own. About halfway down the fog was so thick you couldn't see 10 feet. I had never seen fog like that. Driving became too much for me so I pulled over. I could hear the ocean loudly and clearly breaking on the beach but could not see it. I walked toward the sound and it became louder than I thought it could be. Then the waves lapped up around my feet and I could at last catch a glimpse of it.
It was beautiful, a bit spooky and completely otherworldly. It was one of the defining points of my life. Upon recollection I realize that nearly all of my life altering aha moments have been spent alone, and that you had better enjoy the company you share when you are alone.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was going to pass but I have to share this. I was at a beach house with my parents, brother and sister in Duck NC when the 1st Dessert Storm began. It was the last time we all shared together. When all hell broke out on TV, my brother and sister were glued to the events. My parents sorta tried to ignore it, and I felt downright ill. My sister and I had planned to drive down to Cape Hatteras the next morning but I couldn't get her away from the abomination on the TV. So I took off on my own. About halfway down the fog was so thick you couldn't see 10 feet. I had never seen fog like that. Driving became too much for me so I pulled over. I could hear the ocean loudly and clearly breaking on the beach but could not see it. I walked toward the sound and it became louder than I thought it could be. Then the waves lapped up around my feet and I could at last catch a glimpse of it.
It was beautiful, a bit spooky and completely otherworldly. It was one of the defining points of my life. Upon recollection I realize that nearly all of my life altering aha moments have been spent alone, and that you had better enjoy the company you share when you are alone.
I spent a few summers camping out on the Outer Banks when I was a teenager--this was back before the place was overrun with people in the mid-70's. Pitch a tent in the dunes and camp out until the beer money ran out. It can be a very spooky place, particularly when it's foggy. Lots of shipwrecks, pirate ghosts, etc. 😁

Don't know where your drive is taking you through Va., but the Shenandoah Valley and the Blue Ridge Parkway are always spectacular and the fall color is just beginning on the high ridges there.

Lexington is nice, alot of history.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I sure do concur with that. My smell is particularly keen though most of my senses have faded over the years. ( this is not always a good thing) Its been 5 years since I could enjoy the smell of the great mother of earth and all living things upon it. There has been times and conditions when I could smell the ocean from as much as 15 miles away, and possibly more.
She is also the great healer. I have stories I could tell.

I grew up a few hours inland in Maine so as a child, most of my interaction with water was fresh water. Fresh water lakes and streams have their own scent too. I guess since I grew up with it, I never really noticed until I had spent a few years near the coast during college and my early career. I had to go to a training that was along the Hudson River quite a bit north of NYC. I stepped to the shore of it and could smell the earthy scent of the river. It brought back a flood of memories and sense of familiarity from my childhood that was almost surreal considering I had never been to that particular spot in my life.

On the opposite note, you can always tell when you are going over the Delaware River Bridge and not in a good way. That waterway is so dirty with pollution at that point, it stinks.

Last edited:

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If your approach from the west is more to the North towards D.C, you can take catch the beginning of the Skyline Drive at Front Royal, Va. and drive south to were it ends at Waynesboro, Va., then take I 64 on to Richmond all the way down to the Tidewater and Va. Beach.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Portsmouth was my last station in the Coast Guard. Between work and the rest of life, we didn't get out much, but the southern food is amazing. Sometimes they do tours on the CG station and cutters. Give my regards to the Harriet Lane, second of her name, and first of her class.
Not in that neck of the woods, but if you happen by Montecello on your way, shoot me some pics. I'm a sucker for unique architecture, but never got the chance.
You might leave your shovel at home for this one. Out east they have a very different mindset about how public lands are used. Also, hunting seasons supercede all other usage, and they aren't nice about it.
Nor are they understanding of certain herbal remedies.
If you go out in the thick of the woods, you will catch some ticks, guaranteed. Bug spray first and buddy checks after.
A opossum will try to eat your cat if it has a chance.
I hear good things about snapping turtle, and you'll want a gallon or two of that Carolina bbq sauce to take home. Nothing else like.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I grew up a few hours inland in Maine so as a child,
I loved Maine when I was rock hounding there 33 years ago. Inland Maine was amazing. There are places you can travel further by canoe than by car. And the tidepools on Bar Harbor are enchanting. Loved the Florida Keys and Everglades too and am so glad I live about half way between the two places.
I think it's impossible to have that sort of revelation in the company of other humans.
You are so right my friend. You do have the heart of an artist.
If your approach from the west is more to the North towards D.C, you can take catch the beginning of the Skyline Drive at Front Royal, Va. and drive south to were it ends at Waynesboro, Va., then take I 64 on to Richmond all the way down to the Tidewater and Va. Beach.
Love it .... I have made that very trek several times.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not in that neck of the woods, but if you happen by Montecello on your way
This can be done if you take the western route.
If you go out in the thick of the woods, you will catch some ticks, guaranteed
Take heed. Lyme disease sucks.
Carolina bbq sauce to take home. Nothing else like.
Pierce's BBQ, right off 64 near Williamsburg. Everyone in this state knows about this place.
Now you need 3 weeks. 🤣

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I loved Maine when I was rock hounding there 33 years ago. Inland Maine was amazing. There are places you can travel further by canoe than by car. And the tidepools on Bar Harbor are enchanting. Loved the Florida Keys and Everglades too and am so glad I live about half way between the two places.

You are so right my friend. You do have the heart of an artist.

Love it .... I have made that very trek several times.
That stretch of Blue Ridge that carries the Skyline Drive from the Massanutten Range down to Afton Mountain was the background for a lot of my youth. Beautiful country.

Top Bottom