Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Old Man's Cave is an amazing place. You need a week to see half of it. I need to get back down there. About 2hrs away from home. Winter is amazing when those fall freeze and giant ice sickles hang off the cliffs everywhere. Great pics.

And we don't have an accent around here.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Old Man's Cave is an amazing place. You need a week to see half of it. I need to get back down there. About 2hrs away from home. Winter is amazing when those fall freeze and giant ice sickles hang off the cliffs everywhere. Great pics.

And we don't have an accent around here.
Haha!! Yeah!! To which I reply, “Me neither!” HAHAHA!!

Buuut I learned how to speak in VA.. moved when I was Young... so by the end of our trip.. my accent had changed..

But that Ohio accent.. is VERY particular.. I have heard it NOWHERE else! 🤣

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
(Thank you for your kind words, also! 🤓)

Next year we will be camping near hocking hills.. I wanna see it ALL...

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
This might be the most wholesome thread I've ever seen on any forum ever.

Looks like you have a happy fam. Keep doing what you're doing.
Thank you!

(I feel that you should know that I took your mental-state/pun-mythology-screen name a step further in my head,,)

Berzerkules!... Son of Skit-Zeus!!

🤣🤣🤣

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I've been to the Hocking Hills, several times, to see the different native orchids that can be found there. My last trip there was 2004, so it has been a while. There are at least 11 species of native orchids in the Hocking Hills state park. To see them all you have to visit in May, then June, July, August and September. And I have. The rarest I've seen was a species of Isotria. Most abundant were the Cypripedium acaule.

Cypripedium acaule - click to expand thumbnails.
acaule12 (2019_10_20 19_42_16 UTC).jpg acaule15still-more (2019_10_20 19_42_16 UTC).jpg acaule18-2nice (2019_10_20 19_42_16 UTC).jpg

Galearis spectabilis - a lovely pink & white thing.
galearis1 (2019_10_20 19_42_16 UTC).jpg

Most books list this as quite rare, Isotria, but in truth it might be that it is just difficult to spot. You can be standing on top of it and the green and brown flower is invisible against the leaf litter. Had to hold a cloth drape behind it to even see it in a photo. Without the cloth, it is invisible. So it might be more common, but most just walk past it. Without our host acting as guide I would have never seen this orchid.

Isotria1b (2019_10_20 19_42_16 UTC).jpg

Tipularia discolor - another orchid that is not very showy and not easy to spot. Not in bloom, it has a curious red-brown leaf, it flowers after the leaf dries up.
Tipularia-discolor1 (2019_10_20 19_42_16 UTC).jpg

Hobart's Cave - one of the more recognizable HH landmarks.
HCave (2019_10_20 19_42_16 UTC).jpg

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
@HorseloverFat

It was nice to see your travel pics. As time permits I'd like to see more, if you have more of VA wilderness photos, and the WV wilderness photos.

My last trip east was Blue Ridge Parkway, and a trip to Monticello.
Thank you!! I am currently organizing them.. I will update this thread... i have very few of WV... my phone was dead most of that time!

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Wow... I THOUGHT Chillicothe felt kind of... active. Our night there was.... loud.

Ironically enough, though, the “crazy/wildEST”, socially off-putting, aggressive locals we encountered on our travels...

...were in Wisconsin. 🤯

(Like when you realize you ARE the crazy one! 🤣🤣🤓🤪)

Top Bottom