To those thinking of tossing in the towel...

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
So many different walks of life venture onto this path of bonsai. There will be loss of trees...par of the course as we learn techniques and patience. If there is an inkling of curiosity left keep the pace...it gets easier. Timing plays a huge part in success when things are done when the tree needs worked. Success is found.

Sometimes, circumstances push us out of a hobby we truly appreciate. This also is disheartening. I've seen it happen to ones I know. I was in my greenhouse the other day. Surrounded by the trees I have plans for. Some further along. And I know over the years I've done this hobby. Ones with no desire to give up the hobby had to over circumstances. For those...I hope you can find time for a tree, or two. Because they somehow bring me peace from the stress life tosses at us. Don't part with them all if you can possibly help it. Even if it's just one tree...as a reminder that. You still have control. That tree can, I imagine be a lifeline to future hopes and dreams. And possibly when things calm down. And the dust settles. You can rebuild that collection. But...don't part with them all. If you can work it into your future plans. Circumstances change...life changes. But our passion for this hobby we carry it with us for the most part. Those who truly have an appreciation for this hobby of ours.

That's all. Just thinking if circumstances changed. And I had to part ways with my trees. How disappointing that would be. I would fight to at least keep a couple.

Chin up... For those needing to hear this. And put one foot in front of the other. And take control of uncontrollable circumstances. By just not giving fully to saying goodbye to a hobby you love.

Warpig

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
A vary nice message Darlene. Tho, I wont lie reading this after your post the other day about your recent health set back has me alittle worried. Here's to waiting for better days to come.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
A vary nice message Darlene. Tho, I wont lie reading this after your post the other day about your recent health set back has me alittle worried. Here's to waiting for better days to come.
No, I'm fine. Sorry if I caused concern. But over the years...I've seen a few I respected and considered friends. Have to close up shop. Circumstances... suck. But thinking of the emotions that they faced. As they watched their collection thin. Got to me last night. Because it would suck if one had to part with trees they invested time in. How would one decide in which was the one they would keep. If they kept just one?

Maudlin I guess... Deep in thought. Because when I am with my trees. I am reminded how far out of touch, without internet and my online circle. Where I would be at...how blessed by each tree I have on my bench by the circle I have which allowed me to aquire them.. Even more so... because of how far rural I live. Nothing close by that delves in the hobby such as clubs or close friends who share the same passion. Yet, I'm proud of what's on my bench. Some a bit controversial. Which was fun to see ones distaste of something I found unique. Thing is...I thrive on that kind of thing. Bonsai 303 Adair once called it. And I find that more touching since I respect him. I think my scare...had me just maudlin. With knowing ones who had to see circumstances change their lifestyles. For if only brief times in their lives. Barren benches...where trees once stood. Just aching for those who where put in those predicaments. Because it happens. I'm glad it's not me. I wouldn't know which to keep. I pray I never have to decide.

shinmai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Doesn't strike me as maudlin in the slightest, but rather as thoughtful. I know that when my younger sister died at the end of August, for the first time I think I truly accepted that all of life is ephemeral, and that my time, too, will inevitably come. I also know that losing myself in working with my trees helped me with my grief, and that it can take us to a place where other thoughts don't intrude, and time seems to slow to a crawl. More than once, I've found myself gazing into a tree, looking at its structure, maybe contemplating something to prune or wire, and thirty minutes later it seems like five minutes went by.
I have a five year old grandson, and I'm hoping that when he gets a bit older I can get him interested in working on Grandpa's little trees. My dream is that when my time comes, I pass on to him a dozen or so, really nice developed trees, that he can take over and keep for his kids some day.
And I like your observation about having 'controversial' things on the bench. It speaks to me of the importance of doing bonsai for one's own self, not necessarily for classical, traditional bonsai. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Doesn't strike me as maudlin in the slightest, but rather as thoughtful. I know that when my younger sister died at the end of August, for the first time I think I truly accepted that all of life is ephemeral, and that my time, too, will inevitably come. I also know that losing myself in working with my trees helped me with my grief, and that it can take us to a place where other thoughts don't intrude, and time seems to slow to a crawl. More than once, I've found myself gazing into a tree, looking at its structure, maybe contemplating something to prune or wire, and thirty minutes later it seems like five minutes went by.
I have a five year old grandson, and I'm hoping that when he gets a bit older I can get him interested in working on Grandpa's little trees. My dream is that when my time comes, I pass on to him a dozen or so, really nice developed trees, that he can take over and keep for his kids some day.
And I like your observation about having 'controversial' things on the bench. It speaks to me of the importance of doing bonsai for one's own self, not necessarily for classical, traditional bonsai. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
I can't even begin to imagine the loss of a sibling. Heart felt condolences. I'm glad you had this hobby of ours to help distract you from such emense grief.

A grandson...♥️ I'm sure you will if anything, will set a seed forever on his life of your passion for this hobby of ours. I hope you see his passion grow along your side.

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Nice post, Darlene. I can certainly identify with this. I have a passion for bonsai like few can understand. It brings me joy and intrigue to the extent that I cannot explain. I've been doing this for roughly 17 years now and my love for the hobby is every bit as strong as it was when I started.
That being said, I can certainly understand why and how people can walk away from it. I have had an extremely rough go in my marriage over the past 5 years or so and there was a period of about three years that I did little more than keep my trees alive (barely). I even considered selling off my collection at one point. The marital problems combined with raising two young boys, working 40 hrs/wk, and maintaining a house etc was about all I was able to handle. Fortunately, things have begun to settle out and I've been able to devote time to my hobby again. I now have a renewed love and passion for my trees.
I am glad that I didn't end up selling my trees. They give me joy like nothing (besides my family) else can.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Nice post, Darlene. I can certainly identify with this. I have a passion for bonsai like few can understand. It brings me joy and intrigue to the extent that I cannot explain. I've been doing this for roughly 17 years now and my love for the hobby is every bit as strong as it was when I started.
That being said, I can certainly understand why and how people can walk away from it. I have had an extremely rough go in my marriage over the past 5 years or so and there was a period of about three years that I did little more than keep my trees alive (barely). I even considered selling off my collection at one point. The marital problems combined with raising two young boys, working 40 hrs/wk, and maintaining a house etc was about all I was able to handle. Fortunately, things have begun to settle out and I've been able to devote time to my hobby again. I now have a renewed love and passion for my trees.
I am glad that I didn't end up selling my trees. They give me joy like nothing (besides my family) else can.
I'm glad it seems you are an overcomer. That things are settling down. But this is what I was getting at. Life sometimes throws us curve balls. I'm glad you weren't faced to sell off your trees.

Top Bottom