To Use Or Not To Use Pine Needles For Winter Bedding ????

sbarnhardt

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I've been working on a building myself a box arrangement to winter my plants in. It's 4ft X 5ft out of 2X10's. It's not all that large but it's large enough for my purposes at this point.

I'm working on a hoop system using pex pipe over which I can roll plastic if I need it to create sort of a "mini greenhouse so to speak. Our NC zone 7b winters are sometimes cold and sometimes not. But that's not the reason for my question today.

My thoughts are turning to what I'm going to use to bed the roots with. It seems most folks talk about using pine bark. At least the ones I've had the fortune to run across. My question is, as the title says, to use, or not use, pine needles to bed the pots/roots with. It just seems it would be easier to work with and maybe a bit cheaper, although I've managed to spend more on this "project" already than I thought I would. So I'm throwning this out to you learned folks. Has anyone used pine needles as opposed to pine bark? Is there an overpowering reason one way or the other for one over the other? Any other thoughts??

Thanks
Barney
North Carolina Zone 7b

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You can use just about anything to insulate. Just be sure to apply fungicide to your plants first if you're using organic material. Cypress mulch is the best because it is a deterrent to both insects and rodents, at least until the smell wears off.

DougB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I agree with Stan, except do not use leaves as they will cake together. Pine needles under and over will work. Make sure you spray appropriately for critters. Monthly care tips are available on the Triangle Bonsai Societies web site. If not a member - join us.

sbarnhardt

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
You can use just about anything to insulate. Just be sure to apply fungicide to your plants first if you're using organic material. Cypress mulch is the best because it is a deterrent to both insects and rodents, at least until the smell wears off.

What would an appropriate "inorganic" material be? The only thing that comes to mind would be the type of fiberglass insulation you use in buildings.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What would an appropriate "inorganic" material be? The only thing that comes to mind would be the type of fiberglass insulation you use in buildings.

I have used old blankets and tarps. I would think that a bag of the old blown in cellulose insulation (ground paper ) like you could buy at Hone Depot for $7 would make a great bedding around pots. A bag covers 40 square feet and a 4x5 box say 8 inches deep, you should have some left over.
The only drawback I could see with pine needles is the sap on your pots.
ed

sbarnhardt

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I have used old blankets and tarps. I would think that a bag of the old blown in cellulose insulation (ground paper ) like you could buy at Hone Depot for $7 would make a great bedding around pots. A bag covers 40 square feet and a 4x5 box say 8 inches deep, you should have some left over.
The only drawback I could see with pine needles is the sap on your pots.
ed

My pots, at this stage of the game, are all nursery pots. I don't have anything in nice bonsai pots yet.

MidMichBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I used pine needles last winter and all of my trees pulled through with no fungus to show for it. Pretty impressive considering the winter we had in Michigan last year. When I get a chance, I'll try to post a picture of my setup.

tmpgh

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
newbie question: Where would one get pine needles sufficient to bed down a tree collection?

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
newbie question: Where would one get pine needles sufficient to bed down a tree collection?

Believe it or not you can actually buy them in bales like hay. I would just look for someone who had a yard full of them falling from their pines and ask if I could take a truck load.:D They most likely would be so happy they would throw in lunch...

ed

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

Packing peanuts or foam rubber (if in an enclosure) would certainly work, but that's not what I was getting at. I was intimating that anything organic will likely come carrying mold/fungus and/or has a high probability of supporting fungal growth, so that spraying should be a given.

sbarnhardt

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Packing peanuts or foam rubber (if in an enclosure) would certainly work, but that's not what I was getting at. I was intimating that anything organic will likely come carrying mold/fungus and/or has a high probability of supporting fungal growth, so that spraying should be a given.

And I've probably thrown away enough "peanuts" to have done this. But can you imagine if a good wind got into it while they were outside. The neighbors would probably hate you. lol

MidMichBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b

I work at a university campus so there are loads of pine trees with years of needles stacked under them. Or just go to a local park. A sizeable pine will have loads of needles underneath. If you can find a grove or cluster of them, even better!

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I work at a university campus so there are loads of pine trees with years of needles stacked under them. Or just go to a local park. A sizeable pine will have loads of needles underneath. If you can find a grove or cluster of them, even better!

Or my driveway...50 yards long and lined with Loblolly and Virginia pines...at least 3 55 gal trash can's worth.

Top Bottom