Toasted larch?

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Well, we have been in the midst of a heat wave here with temps into the mid 80s and low humidity. Unfortunately a couple of my Japanese larch saplings were sitting out front and took the full blast on a sunny afternoon and apparently were missed when I watered and misted them the other day. So yesterday they looked like this one. All the needles turned to crispy critters and fell off. There is a third that has lost about half its needles but the ends of the branches look OK. I am hoping that just the existing needles were over stressed and shed but the buds all over the branches will pop back out either in a couple weeks or next spring. Either way they get TLC this winter. I have now moved all my other larch (7 Jap. and 10 American) to a more sheltered location where they will only get morning sun. So far today no wilting on any of them. You takes your chances and learn your lessons—sometimes the hard way. I know where I can get replacements next spring if necessary so my plans are not really set back, but I hate to lose a tree.

2B5C360C-1C9E-49A0-BC74-E3036DB9E279.jpeg

Warpig

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Ouch srry to hear the lose. What zone is the tree rated at? It doesnt seen like it was that bad last week with the storms passing through.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
We’ve had a fairly mild summer here with temps staying near 80 July and August but now are transitioning to the upper 80s, plus the humidity is down under 50% which is rare here so stuff dries out fast in the sun. I think these just got missed when I was watering as the Am. larch on top of the bench are OK, but then they are on drip irrigation plus hand watering and misting so I know they stayed wet. I was more concerned with overwatering these and got complacent, so my next project is to install the irrigation line for them before they get moved back there. The J. larches are supposed to be more heat tolerant than the Americans.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
My American have always tolerated our mid nineties heat just fine. If it only goes up to the upper 80s you should be fine

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It is late in the year so you will have to keep your fingers crossed and see what happens next spring.

Top Bottom