Today's repot: spring is kinda here

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So here's my repot work from today. I got this pot for my hornbeam. Sara Rayner said it is the look-a-like for someone's special order. Anyone here? Pot too deep or is the trunk big enough to handle it?

My cedar in a Ron Lang slab...before/after

Cedar I repotted earlier

My little spruce in a Tony Remington pot

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 71
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 68
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 65
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 63
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 59

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bored Tamarack

I brought this tamarack home completely infested with tamarack borers. They do good carving work. Interesting tree, hard to take a pic. The pot really goes well and allows me to keep this tree under potted so I can slow it down.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 38
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 42
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 45
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I brought this tamarack home completely infested with tamarack borers. The do good carving work. Interesting tree, hard to take a pic. The pot really goes well and allows me to keep this tree under potted so I can slow it down.

I really like the looks of photo one. The overall this tree brings to the table.

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A small cedar in a new shallow pot.

An ugly pine. I keep it for the trunk. I backed the foliage up, now I have to grow it out.

A little twisted Scot. The roots are going to be interesting.

A Scot pine that has the smallest needles I have ever seen. It happened last year after years of working it. Now I'm trying to replicate getting needles that small.

Really short Scot. If I can get the needles like the other, it might have a chance.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 35
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 41
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 42
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 43
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 49

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've had my eye on this pot at Sara's for awhile. Trying to think of a use for it. My ginkgo has always been under potted. Not anymore.

Miss Kim Lilac in a new yellow porcelain pot. With some moss and blooms, it's some nice eye candy.

Then a bunjin Ponderosa. Wanna talk soil, the previous owner of this knows nothing about free draining soil...on a pine...really...garden soil. It now has hope, but it does seem to affirm the idea that specific roots feed specific branches. One dead branch, one main root gone.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 46
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 48
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 44

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you've driven around northern MN you've seen the spruce trees in the swap. They have a lot of branches down low, a section of dead in the middle and tons of foliage up on top. That's what I'm going for here. In time I might amend my plan to the bottom half of the tree. For those in Northern MN this tree makes sense.

Here is a before/ after and a shot of the crazy back budding on this tree from last year.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 38
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 36
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You know that tree in your collection you stopped caring about... Welcome to my hornbeam. I even put it in a cascade pot cause...well...I didn't care. There is something about this low branch that I love even though it breaks the rules and is a pain in the butt. I don't like the slingshot look. As some one has said on other forums about a tree...it's one bold move away from actually being something. Maybe that's just a dream. Ideas?

Finally, a little railroad tamarack. I go up north to a retired railroad. A 1 mile walk will bring you to a place where there is a little tree tucked along side the rail and a tree between every tie for miles and miles. They have roots the size of the trunk from growing in the rock and they are all beat up!

Been a long day, I don't think I can hold a little chop stick anymore today!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 44
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 38
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 39
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Man those are some awesome trees. Just noticed your from Dylantown - double cool!

He was here for a concert last summer. There's an old armory where he had a concert ages ago with Buddy Holly. Everyone feels compelled to save the building. They better hurry, it's about to fall down.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Thanks for the tour Terry...good stuff. Particularly interesting about the spruce style.
the thujas/cedars look great, so does the literati pondy.
Whats the story with the ginkgo? Great base on it, did the top die back?

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for the tour Terry...good stuff. Particularly interesting about the spruce style.
the thujas/cedars look great, so does the literati pondy.
Whats the story with the ginkgo? Great base on it, did the top die back?

The ginkgo is getting pushed back. The left side had all this extension...buds on the tips...long branches of nothing. The long sections wouldn't give me any buds. Buds are forming in the chi-chi. Eventually it will come back. I think I was struggling with the shallow pot, I've had to water this tree way too much over the years and it would still get dry.

The pondy is in a much better pot than before. I was shocked at all the bark that came off and revealed this dead root. It will add to the presentation later this summer when the lime sulphur gets applied. Now I just hope it survives the brutal treatment.

It's fun to get back at some material!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom