Toko Kazari 2011

kakejiku

Chumono
Reaction score
Pfft... only for westerners. :p

V

http://wallscroll.blogspot.com/2009/12/kachofugetsu-full-cursive-sousho-style.html

Scroll looks similar, and I remember making this for Hilvers会長, (That is Kaicho in reference to him being the President of GSBF) for English speakers...Never would have known that it is now owned by The Clark Center...

One thing that caught my eye was how the final stroke of the Moon Kanji, seems to follow the branching in level and shape of the tree...Sorry that I do not know correct bonsai terms to properly explain...

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
http://wallscroll.blogspot.com/2009/12/kachofugetsu-full-cursive-sousho-style.html

Scroll looks similar, and I remember making this for Hilvers会長, (That is Kaicho in reference to him being the President of GSBF) for English speakers...Never would have known that it is now owned by The Clark Center...

One thing that caught my eye was how the final stroke of the Moon Kanji, seems to follow the branching in level and shape of the tree...Sorry that I do not know correct bonsai terms to properly explain...

I am sure it still does belong to Bob. I assumed he used a scroll from the center as the only other scroll I have seen him use that belonged to him, he used last year with the Liquid Amber.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Congrats Al, nice photo and props of your display in Bonsai Focus this month.

kakejiku

Chumono
Reaction score
Just got the response back from display Sensei in Japanese on his critiques of the displays at Toko Kazari 2011. If you would like to hear what he wrote, PM to me and I will provide a copy of the original Japanese and translation. I believe a while back there was a complaint about the lack of Japanese input on the forum. Well this is indirect input, but a chance to hear from a Bonsai/Sanyasou display artist who has participated or judged in many display competitions throughout Japan...

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just got the response back from display Sensei in Japanese on his critiques of the displays at Toko Kazari 2011. If you would like to hear what he wrote, PM to me and I will provide a copy of the original Japanese and translation. I believe a while back there was a complaint about the lack of Japanese input on the forum. Well this is indirect input, but a chance to hear from a Bonsai/Sanyasou display artist who has participated or judged in many display competitions throughout Japan...

Why not just post the results anonymously. I think expecting hundreds of PM's is kind of silly. I like to think of these types of things as learning for everyone. Keep the Japanese though, useless to me.

kakejiku

Chumono
Reaction score
I should have translated Kuzuhara Ikkou Sensei's overall opinion of the Exhibition...

This is the first time I have had a chance to see a bonsai display exhibition done in America, and I think it was a wonderful example of Seki Kazari displays. Ordinarily, I am involved exclusively with displays done in the Gadou style but, I felt impressed by the neat, tidy and elegant refinement of the displays.

Presently in Japan, there are many Bonsai enthusiasts who have not studied display that line up their best bonsai to show off and be arrogant in the display, but the spirit of display is not present in any of the trees. When I thought about this and compared to the pictures here, each one had the fundamental principles of display in place and there was good balance in the etirety of the displays, allowing my heart to feel gread admiration for being able to humbly see each.

However, I do have some small advice for ammending or improving each of the displays. There are some things we can do to make these displays a little more modern in there approach. So for each picture I have written some suggestions to the best of my ability to experiment and amend the displays slightly. Please read the commentary on each display, and understand that there are probably some points that I could not see due to only viewing the pictures, but please read the reviews deeply and see if there is any help it can provide for the future. I am limited in what I can see in the picture to be able to compare the overall balance of the display with the ordinary rules of judging a standard Bonsai Seki Kazari, I am able to judge the visual balance of the overall display, and the important question of "What Message is the display trying to Convey". It is with the idea of the display that I am able to express on the surface my evaluation of the spiritual depth of each display in the exhibit.

kakejiku

Chumono
Reaction score
I will translate Al's...

This is a very good example of a Seki Kazari.
Of the varieties of trees used for bonsai, the deciduous tree is the most difficult to comprehend. The trunk on this moyougi styled tree is inspiring, and reflects well with the elliptical shaped, shallow pot along with the calculation to determine the correct table (height and size) provides harmony and is a wonderful for the display.

But the picture in the scroll, which is inferior to the Main Tree in the display is already depicted. Because of the redundancy of the picture in the scroll and the main tree, removing the inferior scene on the scroll and replacing it with a very large moon (like the one pictured in one of the other displays) would resolve the repitition and be better balanced.
Additionally, the Soe Accent of the stone hut would probably look better in the display if it had been slightly bigger.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I will translate Al's...

This is a very good example of a Seki Kazari.
Of the varieties of trees used for bonsai, the deciduous tree is the most difficult to comprehend. The trunk on this moyougi styled tree is inspiring, and reflects well with the elliptical shaped, shallow pot along with the calculation to determine the correct table (height and size) provides harmony and is a wonderful for the display.

But the picture in the scroll, which is inferior to the Main Tree in the display is already depicted. Because of the redundancy of the picture in the scroll and the main tree, removing the inferior scene on the scroll and replacing it with a very large moon (like the one pictured in one of the other displays) would resolve the repitition and be better balanced.

So is this kismet, or did Ms. Vic pay off the judges for this review? :confused:
Sorry, none of my business, but couldn't help myself.

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
Very informative, thank you. Feel free to translate and post mine if you like, I would love to learn from the criticism and I'm sure others here would too.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for that. I couldn't agree more with those sentiments. This was my original pick for a scroll for this display, but my idea was for of an early winter scene rather than fall which is why I removed the leaves and placed a few red ones on the tatami matt.

I was unsure about the fall grass. Probably should have went for it, but hey, I'm not complainin about second either.

Thanks for the translation, I really appreciate that.

Attachments

• DSC_000400041.JPG
    DSC_000400041.JPG
    36.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 016.JPG
    016.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

kakejiku

Chumono
Reaction score
So is this kismet, or did Ms. Vic pay off the judges for this review? :confused:
Sorry, none of my business, but couldn't help myself.

When I sent these pictures to Kuzuhara Sensei I did not mention any names of the people who had setup the display or the 1st, 2nd or 3rd place winners. He did this evaluation out of the kindness of his heart and his love of bonsai/sanyasou display, and has received no compensation for his critiques. It takes me about 1/2 hour to 45 minutes to properly translate each of the critiques into English. You can see pictures of his studio in Mie Ken at his website here....Just FYI, he does not speak or write English.

http://www.ict.ne.jp/~ikkouan/

kakejiku

Chumono
Reaction score
Very informative, thank you. Feel free to translate and post mine if you like, I would love to learn from the criticism and I'm sure others here would too.

Since you asked nicely, I am glad to do it...

This display was done well and is a wonderful example. As it is right now, it is adequate, but for future study I will explain some details. It is only a minor detail, but the placement of the main tree on top of the table is a little off. Instead of the middle of the table, it would be better to shift the main tree a little more to the left on the table to provide more accent of the right sided flow/movement of the tree. In this case the directional flow to the right of the tree would have been widened and provided better balance for the tree.

Additionally, I am not quite understanding the meaning from the image of the scroll. Overall it is a good image for a display, but a better image would have probably been a wave. In the image you selected, the flow and shape of the tree's branches are repeated and this should be avoided in the future.

Lastly, I will comment on the placement of the accent with the Ki no Ko (which is a specific type of mushroom in Japan). Both the accent and the placement of the Jiita are a little too far to the right. I recommend moving it into the center, and slightly closer to the other elements. These points all have to do with the fundamental rule and strength (importance) that flow of the pieces in relation to creating negative space comes into the entire display.

Happy Thanksgiving to all...

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for the work of translating these messages. I am sure it is very difficult to find the english meaning for a language that has so many meanings , when no words in english can capture that meaning.

I do have some questions. I do not expect an answer as I have no idea about how long it takes to try and get replies nor if this master is interested in holding a discussion so far away.

1. This displays mentioned in your posts are referred to as seki kazari, which is tabletop display, more like what is done at Kokufu. I was under the impression that what we are doing is Toko kazari which is tokonoma display. Taller and enclosed as would be in a traditional Japanese alcove. The rules of display for each are very different.

2. The Sensei mentions positioning the tree off center on the shoku ( bonsai table) to aid in balance and make the composition seem wider. Conventional theory talks about always positioning the tree centered on the table and make up differences with positions in accompaning accessories.

3. The Sensei also mentions changing out the scroll to maybe a wave. While in seki kazari this might work since the focus is on the tree, while in toko kazari the weight is focused on the story. The story in Brian's piece is rain, which would be appropriate for the season here in the US. I am not so sure what a wave might represent for seasonality.

The images below represent some water birds on the beach with a wave in the background. Also we see a very lush almost Ikabana style accent used. Not very appropriate for the season.

Attachments

• DSC_00280018.JPG
    DSC_00280018.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Jonathan I wanted to thank you for helping bring so much quality discussion to this topic. Thank you for providing such a great cultural link. Hopefully we don't exhaust your translating abilities!

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Al,
Many thanks for this, simply amazing and very informative for the newbies in the crowd like me. I have a question in regards to the Elk in one of the winners, how does it relate to the story?
Cheers G.

kakejiku

Chumono
Reaction score
Thanks for the work of translating these messages. I am sure it is very difficult to find the english meaning for a language that has so many meanings , when no words in english can capture that meaning.

I do have some questions. I do not expect an answer as I have no idea about how long it takes to try and get replies nor if this master is interested in holding a discussion so far away.

1. This displays mentioned in your posts are referred to as seki kazari, which is tabletop display, more like what is done at Kokufu. I was under the impression that what we are doing is Toko kazari which is tokonoma display. Taller and enclosed as would be in a traditional Japanese alcove. The rules of display for each are very different.

2. The Sensei mentions positioning the tree off center on the shoku ( bonsai table) to aid in balance and make the composition seem wider. Conventional theory talks about always positioning the tree centered on the table and make up differences with positions in accompaning accessories.

3. The Sensei also mentions changing out the scroll to maybe a wave. While in seki kazari this might work since the focus is on the tree, while in toko kazari the weight is focused on the story. The story in Brian's piece is rain, which would be appropriate for the season here in the US. I am not so sure what a wave might represent for seasonality.

The images below represent some water birds on the beach with a wave in the background. Also we see a very lush almost Ikabana style accent used. Not very appropriate for the season.

I will ask him, although I can throw my opinion on the matter. I think Seki Kazari translated as a tabletop display is slightly different. Here is a sample of Kuzuhara Sensei's display, with a translation of the meaning of the display. He calls this a Seki Kazari style display. The setup was the same as that at the Clark Center. A raised platform with a Tatami. In this same competition, when it was actually placed in an area with side walls and additional raised platform, then it became a Toko no Ma kazari....If the display lacks the Hashira (pillars) and sidewalls, even if it is on a raised platform it is called Seki Kazari.

Hilvers_Sample Display.jpg
席題 松柏千年のみどり 葛原洪行
Sekidai Shouhaku Sennnen no Midori by Kuzuhara Ikkou
真の真体による席飾り
Shin no Shin Style Seki Kazari
盆栽といえば黒松に代表され、また直幹といえば「真の真体」として盆栽樹形中最も端正な形姿とされる。つまり一番位の高い樹なのである。
その黒松直幹を主木に、掛け軸を配しての飾り。軸の「松柏千年青」は禅語(南宋ナンソウ末期スエキの禅僧(Priest)石田法薫和尚の掲)であり、「千年のみどりのようにいつまでも目出度く、幸多かれ」との慶祝(けいしゅく)の意も込められる。
人はともすると華簾(かれん)に咲く花に目を奪われ(うばわれるto be fascinated by)がちだが、不変、不動の松柏のよさをこそ忘れるなかれと自戒(じかいself examination)し、一時の華やかさより変りなき不変の根本精神を身につけたいと願っての飾りであろう。
When one says bonsai, the black pine is the representative tree, and furthermore when you say Chokkan as the Shin no Shin style of bonsai styling, it is the pinnacle of a handsome shape. In other words, it is the highest tree standard to attain.
This black pine acting as the main tree, is a companion with the scroll. The scroll phrase of Shouhaku Sennen no Aoi is a Zen phrase by the Nansou Sueki Priest, Ishida. The phrase is a celebratory blessing that 1,000 years of green stands out to our eyes and brings much happiness.
When we are with others, we are fascinated by seeing the blooming flowers of the Karen, we are required to self reflect on the unchanging and immovable nature of the Pines and Deciduous trees. I hope to convey to the viewer the immutable laws of nature of the spirit’s foundation, by bringing to mind the unchanging of the single Ka flower.

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
When I sent these pictures to Kuzuhara Sensei I did not mention any names of the people who had setup the display or the 1st, 2nd or 3rd place winners. He did this evaluation out of the kindness of his heart and his love of bonsai/sanyasou display, and has received no compensation for his critiques. It takes me about 1/2 hour to 45 minutes to properly translate each of the critiques into English. You can see pictures of his studio in Mie Ken at his website here....Just FYI, he does not speak or write English.

http://www.ict.ne.jp/~ikkouan/

Thank you very much for taking the time to do this.... Brian Van Fleet's comment was humor... based on an old post made by Smoke in which he gave Vic a hard time about the moon scroll in her display.... which is why Brian commented on the recommendation to use a moon scroll .... he was making a joke aimed at Smoke....

To be clear... Vic and I have not yet prepared a display for Toko-Kazari but we hope to one day when time and materials allow...

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Al,
Many thanks for this, simply amazing and very informative for the newbies in the crowd like me. I have a question in regards to the Elk in one of the winners, how does it relate to the story?
Cheers G.

I have no idea. I was as stunned at the decision for that composition being first and mine second. The owner of that display was also stunned at the judges decision to award first place to a display lacking clarity of season.

....and that my friend goes along ways in explaining the subjectivity in art........we all appreciate it differently.:)

kakejiku

Chumono
Reaction score
No5.jpg
I have no idea. I was as stunned at the decision for that composition being first and mine second. The owner of that display was also stunned at the judges decision to award first place to a display lacking clarity of season.

....and that my friend goes along ways in explaining the subjectivity in art........we all appreciate it differently.:)

Actually, even though Sensei does not rank the displays, nor did he know first, second or third place, in his writing I felt that he thought this was the best display...this was his comment.

In this display the tree and the planting in the pot, the deer accent, and the scroll with the depiction of the waterfall are very cleverly displayed, and there is no other way to say it, but this is the way display should be done.
One recommendation is that the table feels a little tall in the picture and something lower to the eye with a little more area on the top would have been better I feel. It is difficult to take the time to slighty exaggerate the bonsai to flow to the right, I used a computer to make the trees branches and canopy to flow to the left. Please take the time to look at the picture and try to grasp and appreciate the difference. With that said, I think there is no other way to say, but this is a wonderful seki kazari.

kakejiku

Chumono
Reaction score

The critique of this display.
This Shohin bonsai display when looking at a first glance seems to acheive unity among all the elemnts, but there are a few points of mistake in the rules of display.
First off, when displaying a Kengan or Hankengan as the main tree, it is good to use the tall table placed on top of this type of large jiita. However, this tree, with its thin trunk and styling would be considered more of a bunjin styling, and in this case it would be better to not use the table and place the bonsai directly on the jiita. Also, when using this type of large jiita it is a common rule if you are using an accent piece to place the accent in the upper right corner behind the tree.
The second point is that the height of this kusamono is too high.
The third point is that the picture in the scroll works well for this display, but for such a small (shohin size and thin trunk) tree, the scroll is much too big. I have made changes to the display to show how I think this would be an improved display. Please look at the two pictures. For the revision, I have used a Kuzuya, which is the way houses in olden times looked in Japan with the thatched grass roofs.No4-Shin_No_Shin_Scroll Revised Kuzuhara.jpg

Top Bottom