Toko-Kazari at The Clark Center for Japanese Art

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well the First Annual Toko-Kazari Bonsai Display Competition is underway. The Clark center for Japanese Art is proud to sponser this first Tokonoma display competition in California. This is something I have been trying to get off the ground for well over five years. The Clark center approached Bob Hilvers, curator of the permanent bonsai collection at the Clark and asked if we wished to hold a bonsai display in the museum.

Bob Hilvers approached me and together we have put together what we feel will be a first not only for California but for the USA. While the emphasis is on bonsai, the major impact will be on the display. What does the display tell? Is it cohesive? Does it harmonize? Do all the accessories play off one another.

This is truly not a case where the best tree may win, but the best display. Of course the best display with the best tree will only enhance the viewing enjoyment. The competition will be judged by a panel of judges, and first place will take home $2,500.00 dollars. Second place is $1,000.00 and third is $500.00. There are only 19 Tokonoma’s in the Clark Center Museum so this has been invitational only. At the present we have 15 confirmed entries for the competition and group efforts are encouraged to participate as well as club entries as teams.

There are no rules on how the display can be executed. It can be traditional Japanese three point, four point, European five point with accent tree or something of your own mind. American ideas are encouraged as well as traditional ideas. Everything goes, scrolls, stones, Shitakusa, photo’s whatever floats your boat.

The event takes place at the Clark Center for Japanese Art in Hanford California. The event is May 16 (10AM-5PM) and 17 (10AM-3PM). Hidecko Metaxis will provide a lecture on display on Sunday as a paid event. For more details contact the Clark at http://www.ccjac.org.

* Toko-Kazari (Tokonoma Display)

Attachments

• Toko Kazari.jpg
    Toko Kazari.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 29

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Another stride for Bonsai.

Cool beans Al! Should be interesting to say the least. Our club has started to get more into the display aspect for our anual exhibit.

You do have a lot of good bonsai events going on in your area. Ive seen your credits in the GSBF magazine, how do you find time for it all?

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Cool beans Al! Should be interesting to say the least. Our club has started to get more into the display aspect for our anual exhibit.

You do have a lot of good bonsai events going on in your area. Ive seen your credits in the GSBF magazine, how do you find time for it all?

I don't! Ask my wife!

Mark

Mame
Reaction score
ONLY 19 Tokonoma ???
That is probably the most in one location in the USA!
What a great opportunity. I look forward to seeing the results.

Mark

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Ahh! That would splain it Lucy.

At 50 with a 4 year old I have to, in order to figure who is where when.

Good for you though, hopefully I'll be there sometime soon. Although I do seem to find time for most of our clubs activities, and MABS too.

Top Bottom