Tokoname Pot w/o chop marks?

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I bought 5 USED in good condition bonsai pots recently which the vendor claimed are all Tokoname but only 2 have chop marks. I think the price is reasonable (if not cheap at $153.00 for all 5) so I bought them. Quality looks solid and feels good.

Brown Unglazed Rectangle - 12" x 9" x 4"
Brown Unglazed Rectangle - 9.5" x 6" x 3"
Cream Glazed Rectangle - 8" x 6" x 2" (w/ chop mark)
Brown Unglazed Hexagon - 8" x 3". (w/ chop mark)
Green Glazed Rectangle - 11" x 8" x 3.75"

I am just wondering if un-marked pots from Tokoname is common or really made.

Your thoughts?

I wasn't able to take pics but here are the vendor pics. What do you think?
12Rectangular.jpg

10Rectangular.jpg

CreamRectangular.jpg

Hexagon.jpg

HexagonB.jpg

GreenRectagular.jpg

Last edited:

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah, they're common. It's useful to remember that Tokoname is not a brand name, but a region in Japan known for its pottery.

The general production pots are often not marked. Sometimes even if the pot IS marked, it's not all that great. Sometimes if the pot ISN't marked it CAN be pretty decent. I sold one of those recently at auction. Nice green/grey glaze, pretty good construction, not marked, but purchased from a seller in Tokoname.

Might help if you posted photos.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Yes, I am aware that Tokoname is a region in Japan and not a brand. I will try to snap a picture or 2 and post tonight.

BTW, these pots are used.

Thanks!

Ron Dennis

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Yeah, they're common. It's useful to remember that Tokoname is not a brand name, but a region in Japan known for its pottery.

The general production pots are often not marked. Sometimes even if the pot IS marked, it's not all that great. Sometimes if the pot ISN't marked it CAN be pretty decent. I sold one of those recently at auction. Nice green/grey glaze, pretty good construction, not marked, but purchased from a seller in Tokoname.

Might help if you posted photos.

Thanks for this info. I bought a tree from a very reputable bonsai artist and he told me the pot was Tokoname. Friends around here have said it is not because it did not have the chop. I really thought it was and is . . . .

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yep, typical production run of lower end Tokoname pots (although certainly good pots). Molded or poured (even the stamped one). Nice solid everyday containers. I've seen a lot of these and tell your friends they ARE MOST CERTAINLY Tokonameware.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks Rockm.

BTW, it is Ron Dennis who have friends questioning his pots' origin. ;)

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The last one MIGHT be Chinese...but my money is still on tokoname.

Danilo

Yamadori
Reaction score
That last one is a great color! I really like that.

Danilo

Yamadori
Reaction score
Sorry but the color is off and it is more of bluish-green (more green than blue) in real life. I do like it too though.

Seems like it would be a great pot for a surprise bougainvillea. The white and pink bracts would really pop against that color, or even a satsuki.

Top Bottom