Tokoname Try-A Cautionary Tale

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ok. I got sucked into the Tokoname YouTube abyss.
This one was particularly good!

As is my nature, I thought, "how tough could it be" They make it seem so easy. So, this thread will be my attempt at trying the Tokoname bonsai way.

First up, creating molds.
Another visit to Youtube.

"How tough could it be"
I get my supplies. I skip the making of Cottle boards because I will make my mold in a plastic tub. Genius right! I get an old bonsai pot I have and plug the holes with clay. Put it face down in my plastic tub and seal the edges around the pot with clay to keep the plaster out.

I mix up the plaster according to the video (almost 4 gallons which went very well) and I start pouring the mixture into the tub. It is going great. Tub is filled. Now, I just need to let the plaster harden. I turn around and start to clean up. I hear what sounded like a large belch from my tub and I turn around to find the bonsai pot floating on the surface. It had detached from the bottom of the plastic tub (Genius right). Try sticking it back down but thats not happening and the plaster is hardening! What a disaster. No plan B so I pour the plaster in a 5 gallon bucket and think "what a great paper weight this is going to be"!

So, this is what I woke up to this morning:
20200527_094132.jpg
A 20 pound paper weight! "How tough could it be"

I really hate to waste stuff and I refuse to be beat so this is what I did.
20200527_095353.jpg
Now, I am just going to have to carve the pot shapes into the plaster. "How tough could it be"
Stay tuned. :)

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Balls for carving the "slump" (though it is technically a "press") mold.
I would have taken the easy route and carve the "hump" mold. Which I think you should still make, if you still have that other block.

Is it potters plaster #1?

I have been watching things on this. Full of quirks.

Cheers!

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
We encourge to handbuild over moulds.

From 6:07 in the video, "tatara"?

That's what I prefer.

At first read it sounded like you meant a "hump" mold. Since folks call mold pressing "handbuilt" too.

I've actually read that according to the laws that determine what adjectives can legally be used to describe any wares, "handbuilt" can include something merely removed from mold, or only glazed by hand, it only needs one touch by human hand, at any stage.

I was excited to see the Japanese have names for each method of building.

Sorce

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
it potters plaster #1?
Yes it is #1. Hey @sorce any tricks on how to change the consistency of the clay I am going to use? The Tokoname clay seemed like it was pretty wet. Is it just a matter of adding water and working it? I do have the other piece of plaster. Hump mold sounds like a good idea to me as well. Will see what I can come up with.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
change the consistency of the clay I am going to use?

This makes me wonder how dry the clay is that you're using now! I know AZ is hot .... but is it so hot the clay is drying In bags?

Rather than make something wetter, which is arguably "impossible".
I would use your reclaim, this way it's already wetter.

I recently processed my first batch of reclaim here, and left wetter. It's definitely nice.

Sorce

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
We encourge to handbuild over moulds.
I would agree, however,, it depends on who is doing the building. My building is so inconsistent. I really want something that can give me that.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I wonder if I was to take a pottery class there if they would let me make bonsai pots or do you have to make there pots that might not work for bonsai.
I like the idea of clay pots as my concrete ones are thick & heavy.

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I wonder if I was to take a pottery class there if they would let me make bonsai pots or do you have to make there pots that might not work for bonsai.
I like the idea of clay pots as my concrete ones are thick & heavy.
You can take a class that will teach you the basics dealing with their projects first. Then you can sign up for shop time. You get to use equipment and glazes with help as needed on your own projects.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
might not work for bonsai.

Usually the stipulations are regarding what clay and glazes can be allowed in the kiln.
Since a lowfire clay can destroy a kiln if melted at hotter temps.
So you shouldn't have any problems in that regard.

What is most limiting for a bonsai Potter, or any Potter truely, when putting their wares in a kiln fired by others, is their lack of control.

If you 2 are close enough to go to the same studio, you're close enough to pool and fire a kiln yourselves. Have control, and progress!

This project is showing there is certainly enough heart in it to go that next step.

Sorce

Top Bottom