Tokonoma in my garden

Marco B

Mame
Reaction score
I always wanted a Tokonoma in my garden. A few days ago I started to build one, and I like to show you the progress of the making of my own garden Tokonoma. One of my goals was to build one with as much as possible woodconnections and as less as possible use of screws. Most of my inspiration comes from the garden tokonoma from Morten Albek. But with my own touch.
The one I'm building has the size of 233 to 89 cm. The roof will extend for about 30 cm at the front and both sides. At the back side a bit less. So the whole roof will be allmost 3 meter.Under the table I will a kind of door (don't know how yet) so I can place some other bonsaistuff under it.
The whole wooden part will be made of Douglas wood. The back and left side will be made of trespa. I like to update my progression and I hope you like it.
So far:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice!

But I wouldn't want to lose the view of those beautiful shingles!

Sorce

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
But I wouldn't want to lose the view of those beautiful shingles!

Funny, but I was thinking the same thing. Except I believe them to be clay tile(?) I was admiring the over and under locking design of the lower roof. Plus colored stripes! Someone put some love into that roof :)

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I always wanted a Tokonoma in my garden. A few days ago I started to build one, and I like to show you the progress of the making of my own garden Tokonoma. One of my goals was to build one with as much as possible woodconnections and as less as possible use of screws. Most of my inspiration comes from the garden tokonoma from Morten Albek. But with my own touch.
The one I'm building has the size of 233 to 89 cm. The roof will extend for about 30 cm at the front and both sides. At the back side a bit less. So the whole roof will be allmost 3 meter.Under the table I will a kind of door (don't know how yet) so I can place some other bonsaistuff under it.
The whole wooden part will be made of Douglas wood. The back and left side will be made of trespa. I like to update my progression and I hope you like it.
So far:
Very, very nice! I have a question to ask, how is the wind in your location? If you get strong gusts they could blow out those white panels. Just something to consider.

Marco B

Mame
Reaction score
Funny, but I was thinking the same thing. Except I believe them to be clay tile(?) I was admiring the over and under locking design of the lower roof. Plus colored stripes! Someone put some love into that roof :)
They are clay tiles indeed. Nothing special for me. Because here in Holland they are very common. :cool:

Marco B

Mame
Reaction score
Very, very nice! I have a question to ask, how is the wind in your location? If you get strong gusts they could blow out those white panels. Just something to consider.
It can be very windy here, but have no worries about that. The white panels are not flexible and I made a rebate (is that the right name?) into the wood at all sides, so I think it's impossible to get blown out. ..... I hope :p

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
when you said tokonomo i thought you were talking about pots! then i opened the thread and saw no pots! so then i googled to see if there was another meaning and saw the japanese stands! shows you how much i know:D

Marco B

Mame
Reaction score
Today it was time for the roof molding...
fase-5-jpeg.385840

Attachments

• fase 5.jpeg
    fase 5.jpeg
    283.3 KB · Views: 594

Marco B

Mame
Reaction score
Today I did find some time to do some work at the Tokonoma: I build the frontpanels of it. The are not finished at the moment, because the watertap for my garden isw mounted at the yellow wall, so I have to have to design something how I easily can detach and attach a part of this frontpanel. But for now I easily can reach the tap because there is no tabletop yet. I still can not decide which kind of material/wood I want. Suggestions?
Other things to be done are: Making a kind of window in the sidewall, and colouring the wood..IMG_1548.jpeg

Top Bottom