Tokonoma in my garden

Toche

Mame
Reaction score
Hello Marco,

In general, the elements of a presentation have a meaning, if they don't, you have to make them have one.
For your stone, the ideal would have been if the plant could have been planted more towards the wider side.
Kind of like this.

Marco 3.jpg

I'm sorry for the poor quality virtual. 🤥

To answer your question, I have been doing bonsai since 1979 and I had the chance to learn bonsai from several Japanese, but it was Keizo Ando who taught me traditional bonsai, Kazari, Toriawase and Shin, Gyo, So. It was like a revelation for me. It is thanks to him that the art of presentation has been demystified.
I have been passionate about Tokonoma Kazari, Toriawase and Shin, Gyo, So for years.

Kazari is the art of presenting bonsai. This art takes up the very demanding notions of Japanese aesthetics. One of these notions is the placement of the elements.

Toriawase is the art of assembling and matching the different elements of a display such as the tree, the pot, the shelf (Shoku) and the grass (shitakusa). It is a work of assortment, combination, agreement, balance.
The two go together.

The Shin, Gyo, So is a classification of the different elements of a presentation.
It greatly facilitates the toriawase. It's so much easier when you understand the why of things. :)

Here is Master Ando and his wife in front of their house.

M Ando .jpg

Marco B

Mame
Reaction score
Wow Michel, it is almost a lesson in the Japanse language! Btw, the plant on the rock is a kokodama, so it's not stuck on the rock.
...I really like to learn much more about this all. I'm afraid you live is too far for me... Where do you live in Belgium, because you said you have a school? Whats the name of your school. Or else, can you recomment any books about this stuff.
I know a lot of people/names in the world of bonsai, why doesn't sound your name familiair to me? :)

Toche

Mame
Reaction score
No Marco, I animate my forum, but I am not the one who has a school, I used to go to the Scuola d'Arte Bonsai in Rouen in France. That's where Mr. Andô was teaching.
The Scuola d'Arte Bonsai is as its name indicates an Italian school, but it had classes in France, Germany and, I believe, Switzerland. I followed the teaching of this school with Mr. Suzuki, then with Mr. Andô and finally with Mr. Otani the first student of Mr. Andô.
That's why I say MY school, but I don't own it.

img_6710111.jpg

2.jpg

Did you see the white gloves ? :)

Otani Toche.jpg

Maybe it is because I was more often in France that we do not know each other.
I was a friend of Michel Sacal, a former president of the French bonsai federation.
With some other enthusiasts, we created the E.D.G. forum http://www.espritsdegoshin.fr/forum-bonsai.html
Unfortunately, Michel passed away in 2009. 🥲

I was also, and still am, a member of the Kyoshitsu school of Thierry Quinchon.
A great Belgian bonsai player. Thierry and I have been friends for many years, he taught me a lot about bonsai.

No, no, we are not talibants. :D

Ulmus-Thierry-Toche.jpg

Thierry who wants to put one of my trees in my car. :D

Hdc-Thierry.jpg

I am surprised by what you say, because a kokedama is a ball of moss, on the picture, I don't see it well, I think it is an Imperata cylindrica, but I had the impression that it was installed in a stone.
About kokedama, it's a very nice thing to do, I had the opportunity to do it with Daiki, Kenichi Abe's son, they are extraordinary people.

DSC_0216.JPG

DSC_0254.JPG

I just followed a series of bonsai video lectures (zoom) of Daiki during the confinement.
You see, since 1979 I've been learning and that's what I'm passionate about in bonsai, there's always something to learn. I think we all have to learn from others.

Toche

Mame
Reaction score
I also had the great luck Iromi Tsukada.
He came to my house and I went to his house.

Here we visit a nursery of Kanuma.

DSC_0933111.JPG

DSC_09951111.JPG

here, we are at my place.

113111.jpg

We must take bonsai seriously, but we must not take ourselves seriously. :)

412111.jpg

But... I am polluting your topic. 🤥
If you want, I'll create a post about traditional bonsai to stop polluting yours. ;)

Marco B

Mame
Reaction score
But... I am polluting your topic. 🤥
If you want, I'll create a post about traditional bonsai to stop polluting yours. ;)
Nice story, nice pictures Michel!...

If you want to post a topic about traditional bonsai, That would be great! Looking forward to it!

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Here is Master Ando and his wife in front of their house.
I almost can't comment when I see this photo. Perhaps I am too old... though not so old. The beauty of the Internet is that it brings people together... while still acknowledging and valuing their uniqueness.

This photo touches my soul.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
You also have a fantastic oak … stamp this - it will be one of my missions to find / develop a worthy oak such as that.

Marco B

Mame
Reaction score
You also have a fantastic oak … stamp this - it will be one of my missions to find / develop a worthy oak such as that.
Thanks! The Oak was a once in a life change! There’s also a topic about this Oak:

Top Bottom