Tommy 2020-25 Azalea Contest Entry

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
I guess I’ll make this official too. I posted it in the original contest thread before.
ill enter a cutting I made in fall 2019 from an issho no haru satsuki.

i had 2 cuttings but I’ll enter the one that got best roots. I actually like the other one more so will be developing that one on the side.

here it is during a few months after it was cut
354FB762-3AB6-43AC-9D0B-7580FE446A93.jpeg

And here it is when it flowered this year after having it repotted
A933CEDE-2841-4AA9-BD92-1A66100B25B8.jpeg

Probably I’m gonna have to put this in a larger pot if I want this to become anything in 5 years.
the flowers of this type are rather large meaning a small tree isn’t really an option
I do intend to let it flower every year, why, well because it’s fun to see..
we will see what we can get in 5 years,

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I guess I’ll make this official too. I posted it in the original contest thread before.
ill enter a cutting I made in fall 2019 from an issho no haru satsuki.

i had 2 cuttings but I’ll enter the one that got best roots. I actually like the other one more so will be developing that one on the side.

here it is during a few months after it was cut
View attachment 313259

And here it is when it flowered this year after having it repotted
View attachment 313260
.....the flowers of this type are rather large meaning a small tree isn’t really an option
I do intend to let it flower every year, why, well because it’s fun to see..
we will see what we can get in 5 years,
I love it! It’s gonna be a great addition to our contest!

I actually have a small Issho no haru and really love it’s flowers. (Mine’s bit more pale.)

Good Luck!
DSD sends

8BDC2335-57C2-427C-919E-7C1A5646A718.jpeg

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
Glad you guys like the pot, its just something cheap but I do like it myself too.
hopefully in 5 years it can be shown in a different pot though. If it’s still the same it means it hardly grew.
by the way, this is the mother plant which I have for almost 6 years.
picture from few years ago and one from last year, it looks again a bit better now as last years there was zero structure visibility. In dire need of a repot.
C0AECD14-50AA-4460-8FC4-8C73312F34A8.jpeg0655EA93-92D2-45C6-811F-BD872F4FCB03.jpeg

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Glad you guys like the pot, its just something cheap but I do like it myself too.
hopefully in 5 years it can be shown in a different pot though. If it’s still the same it means it hardly grew.
by the way, this is the mother plant which I have for almost 6 years.
picture from few years ago and one from last year, it looks again a bit better now as last years there was zero structure visibility. In dire need of a repot.
View attachment 314209View attachment 314208
I really like how it's styled. Did you style it or you already got it like that?

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
I really like how it's styled. Did you style it or you already got it like that?
The basic shape was already there when I got it. the long branch has ramification quit a bit but it has not gotten that much longer actually in 6 years, growth At the end is always quit short. Always vigorous at the branches near the base. It’s not easy to keep this balanced.the style does make room for a lot of flowers though.
i might grow my cutting in one long trunk too, but with no growth at the base, perhaps a cascade. Thinking of it.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The basic shape was already there when I got it. the long branch has ramification quit a bit but it has not gotten that much longer actually in 6 years, growth At the end is always quit short. Always vigorous at the branches near the base. It’s not easy to keep this balanced.the style does make room for a lot of flowers though.
i might grow my cutting in one long trunk too, but with no growth at the base, perhaps a cascade. Thinking of it.
I think that cascade or even semi cascade would look really good.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Spring is here and your azalea could be blooming (depending on your location) or starting to leaf out with this season’s flush……it’s time for updates!

I would also like to add at this time we have 3 prizes to award. Many thanks to @Forsoothe! and @Deep Sea Diver for donating. I am also donating a prize as well.

If you are no longer interested in continuing in the Azalea Contest, please let me know so we can close your thread, thanks.

Top Bottom