Tommy's trees

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
so rather then making seperate threads i will put some trees in here.
So to start here is a maple clump. Standard mountain maple
I got it in may 2016
image.jpeg
Just a little trim
image.jpeg
This is how it looked past winter
image.jpeg
From this front looked kinda flat, all front trees where in 1 line, i decided upon a new front
Now there are a bit too many branches in fron and the back is now in need of some more.
I have one bud that opened at a nice place, i need 1 more, we will see, perhaps grafting may be needed but maybe not.
Here its after repot,
image.jpeg
Second trunk from left i probably chop aroind the half, maybe this summer or fall..
Here its with spring leaves. Dont mind the wire on the right, i actually want to bend most of the trunks to the right but since it put quite a lot of pressure on 1 side so will wait till the roots are a bit more established. It was very rootbound and had to remove a lot of roots.
Container may be just a little too shallow at this point.
image.jpeg

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
That's a nice clump and great start. I might do some cut back and a good wiring but I like it!

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
Thanx!

Here is another maple, variety beni chidori.
I got it last fall but seem to be missing a picture, its fall colours were very nice .
I should have cut back at that time but i didnt.. This fall i will do.

Here it is this winter and today, spring colours are pinkish red i guess for a bout another 2 weeks or so before they start to turn green.
The new pot is a little too big but the tree has a long way to go anyway so its fine for now.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanx!

Here is another maple, variety beni chidori.
I got it last fall but seem to be missing a picture, its fall colours were very nice .
I should have cut back at that time but i didnt.. This fall i will do.

Here it is this winter and today, spring colours are pinkish red i guess for a bout another 2 weeks or so before they start to turn green.
The new pot is a little too big but the tree has a long way to go anyway so its fine for now.
View attachment 140051
View attachment 140052
Very nice trees, Tommy!

The twin trunk is very nice. I like to see the lowest branch on the composition to be on the smaller trunk

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
Big fan of anyone who can pull off a natural looking maple and you certainly make that list. Especially when it's a multi trunk. Very nice.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
yeah, though at this point it wouldnt hurt to get a bit more taper so for now im still keeping all lower branches.
The trade off being there will be a larger scar when you do cut them off. Catch-22.

You're really not going to get much trunk thickening in a bonsai pot.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Tommy D is in the house.....

And he's live.....

Understand!

Sorce

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score

And he's live.....

Understand!

Sorce

I ❤️ !
Lol, this was supposed to say I love house music in emoticons, but this app doesn't support the ones I need. Loses something ...

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
Here is an ezo spruce i repotted today.
This pictures is when i got it and then after styling. 2 years ago
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Last fall i didnt wire as it suffered a bit from summerheat but it seems to be doing fine now. Hopefully it gets through summer no problem so it can be wired again in fall.
image.jpeg

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
Here is a red pine i repotted today, i decandeld last year, i probably shouldnt have..
I was planning to do only the strong ones but then i just continued leaving just very weak ones. Will see how it grows this year. At least the soil is better now.
image.jpeg
This part was completely straight, last summer i put a bend in it, when it grows out a bit i see if i can remove the stick or put some more movement.
image.jpeg

Sadly i lost my earlier pictures, also from other trees due to my phone, xperiaz4, dont buy it.

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
Another todays repot, not the pot i actually wanted to use as it turent out to be a little small because of the angle change so i took what was available, as beech requires a lot of water i dont like it to be a just fit, my watering is not very stable...
I can only find this pic from last year..
image.jpeg
And now before and after repot
It was raining but the trunk is normally nicely white.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
An apple tree i got for free.
I put 3 airlayers around end of summer. That turned out not to be a very good idea timingwise,
1 is still growing strong, 1 is death and 1 has no leaves at all but still branches seem to be still green.. Roots arent visable yet, i will give them a couple more months.

Not completely sure yet for the direction to take, i was thinking the bunjin direction with only the left trunk, now the right one popped some leaves lower down, maybe i can still use this trunk.
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Top Bottom