So what do I do?

1. Downsize and sell a few trees

2. Build more shelves...

IMG_1539.jpg

IMG_1541.jpg

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
This is just a suggestion because you have some nice trees, but save your money and instead of buying a $100 tree, wait and buy a $300 tree and improve the quality of your trees not the quanity, that's what I'm trying to do.

Harry

Last edited:

buddhamonk

Chumono
Reaction score
or even better... I can buy a bunch of $100 trees and sell them for $300 :)

but yeah that's what I've been doing - most of these are from my early years when I was buying everything I thought looked nice at the local garden center... It did serve develop horticultural skills.

I now prefer quality as opposed to quantity but I still like the cheap pre-bonsai at the local auction...

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Now that you know how to take care of you trees, it's time to move on.
Confucius say " It is much better to have 10 quality trees in brown unglazed pots than 25 trees in colored glazed pots with no potential" Anyway that's what my Master tells me, but his name isn't Confucius, I just made that up, not that you could tell, right. :D Think pines and junipers.

Harry

buddhamonk

Chumono
Reaction score
unfortunately everything I usually find is either <$100 or >$700 and I'm not there yet

Maybe someday...

you've convinced me to bring a few to the next club meeting to donate/sell. I've been meaning to do that for a few months now.

Thanks

Last edited:

Gardener

Seedling
Reaction score
This is how my garden looked in the summer

DSC00116.jpg

If you have a crowding problem for some reason...just spread them out around your property and in your home

Gardener

Seedling
Reaction score
Now that you know how to take care of you trees, it's time to move on.
Confucius say " It is much better to have 10 quality trees in brown unglazed pots than 25 trees in colored glazed pots with no potential" Anyway that's what my Master tells me, but his name isn't Confucius, I just made that up, not that you could tell, right. :D Think pines and junipers.

Harry

Well said..............

Reaction score
USDA Zone
You gotta build out man!!

Those benches are way to narrow. Depending on how much yard space you have.

I take up 75% of my yard space with trees. My girlfriend hates it because you can barely walk in the fall. I have many that are in training and they get big, like the Zelkovas. I have to have the space to grow out stock and so at the end of the year it is a jungle. I do not see you using that clump of grass in the foreground. Do you have more space anywhere else. I say BUY more trees, heck start a nursery.

buddhamonk

Chumono
Reaction score
You gotta build out man!!

Those benches are way to narrow. Depending on how much yard space you have.

I take up 75% of my yard space with trees. My girlfriend hates it because you can barely walk in the fall. I have many that are in training and they get big, like the Zelkovas. I have to have the space to grow out stock and so at the end of the year it is a jungle. I do not see you using that clump of grass in the foreground. Do you have more space anywhere else. I say BUY more trees, heck start a nursery.

well...that's my yard...:rolleyes: I guess there's room for one more tree somewhere

IMG_0071.jpg

Hans van Meer

Yamadori
Reaction score
Holly smoke! That's about 8 times the size of my garden! And you are asking us what to do? EXPANED, benches so you can see your trees more separate from each other and move on to material that you can give your own style, like yamadori! TOO GRAWDED...HA!:D
Regards,
Hans van Meer.

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
I can't stand empty space, I'd build a koi pond in the middle. :D

Harry

pauldogx

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Dude!! Build more benches!!!! They are cheap. I'll post some pix of mine. A few hours and about 50 bucks. I used pressure treated wood from Lowes. 3 2x6's with 1/2 inch between each gives a nice 8 foot long bench by about 19 inches wide. I used a couple of 2x4 underneath for cross members.
They are a bit heavy --but they are solid!!!

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
You can also "step" the cinder blocks out in front so that you have "stairs" as shelves. Keep the first one about 3' off the ground so you can still access underneath, and then have one at 4' and one at 5' (or thereabouts). Put your short trees in front and the tall trees in the back.

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I agree with Hans, there is nothing crowded there. Just need one more bench.

Try to imagine for each tree how would you like to see them in five years. If you don't have a drastic improvement plan for a tree, than you get rid of it. For instance, if you need to double or triple the size of a trunk for a tree, than keeping in a bonsai pot won't help. You need to take a different action, and if you can't do it for some reason, then you shouldn't keep the tree.

GerhardG

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Same problem

I'm giving away all my non-bonsai plants since I rent and space is and always will be a problem.

Kinda like giving away the family dog, I've had most of these plants for six years.....only keeping a kumquat that's to be a fun fruiting bonsai.....

I feel proud that only a year into bonsai I've managed to call a halt and not buy/dig/plant everything that catches my fancy.
My last craziness was 2 days after recent knee surgery, had to have not one but TWO Italian Cypress......which are now standing there flicking me the bird every day when I water.

Build more benches, I would if I could......

buddhamonk

Chumono
Reaction score
Dude!! Build more benches!!!! They are cheap. I'll post some pix of mine. A few hours and about 50 bucks. I used pressure treated wood from Lowes. 3 2x6's with 1/2 inch between each gives a nice 8 foot long bench by about 19 inches wide. I used a couple of 2x4 underneath for cross members.
They are a bit heavy --but they are solid!!!

That's pretty much the setup I have right now...

buddhamonk

Chumono
Reaction score
I agree with Hans, there is nothing crowded there. Just need one more bench.

Try to imagine for each tree how would you like to see them in five years. If you don't have a drastic improvement plan for a tree, than you get rid of it. For instance, if you need to double or triple the size of a trunk for a tree, than keeping in a bonsai pot won't help. You need to take a different action, and if you can't do it for some reason, then you shouldn't keep the tree.

Anything that requires doubling or tripling of the trunk size I end up reducing to the first branch and start over with a mame. Works great :cool:

litoalansalon

Seedling
Reaction score
Focus on bonsai. Go for quality. Burn the unwanted, do not auction or donate so as to stop
unwanted materials. You have the skills to go for really good/quality materials, go for it. You have enough space. In specific numbers, 50 to 100 pcs. bonsai/bonsai materials of good quality is very
manageable. Good luck.

buddhamonk

Chumono
Reaction score
Thought I would update this thread with a new bench I put up today. Took me 6 years from the start of this thread to actually get a new bench even tho I probably 30 more trees...

5C487B58-D3C0-4CF9-8332-30520015DCFC-1836-000001BB715647A0_zps6b901c03.jpg

Lots of room on the old bench now...

3D0CD85F-67E6-4CA7-BC4F-41B90ADE905D-1836-000001BB6A9A190F_zps4b62e0f5.jpg

Top Bottom