Too Early to repot????

chappy56

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just wondering, I have a handful of tress in an unheated garage that are pushing buds like crazy. They are mostly Maples and Elms and one of the Maples is even leafing out already. My question is.....should I repot, or is it too early? My garage right now is between 40 and fifty degrees most of the time. I don't have any natural light in there but do have fluorescents.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
The safest time to re-pot deciduous trees is when the buds are beginning to swell, so yes, if you are planning to re-pot any of them, now would be best. The bigger issue is that you now have 2-3 months left of freezing winter weather to navigate before you can safely leave your trees outside, which is really where they need to be if they are in leaf. Ideally, you would have a frost free greenhouse or something similar to keep them in. Good luck,

Dave

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Is your garage attached or detached? I'm in the DC area, which is probably warmer than your area, and yet my garage is staying between 30 and 40. The only thing leafing out are my flowering quince, which is natural for the species (as far as I can tell).

You might want to consider opening the garage door to cool it off a bit. I've got a min-max thermometer with a remote sensor so that I can see the temperature outside as well as in the garage.

cquinn

Shohin
Reaction score
I wouldn't cut those roots right now. It's best to wait. If they all leaf out, it wouldn't hurt them to just not repot this year.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
The trees are breaking dormancy now- if they must be re-potted it is much safer to do it now then when they are in leaf. The roots will be fine if the soil is well draining and not overly wet. Again, the bigger issue is providing the light levels the trees will need now that new leaves are growing, and I doubt your flourescent lights are adequate. If you don't have a frost free, light filled location available, I would get the trees outside during the day if the temps are warm enough, then get them back in garage to prevent frost damage. I've heard of some folks keeping their trees on carts to facilitate the moving in/out of their garage. Good luck,

Dave

robert1955

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I live in SoCal, and i am taking the last week of this month off to repot. I have some plants I want to part with. Need to get pics posted if anyone in this area want them.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Just wondering, I have a handful of tress in an unheated garage that are pushing buds like crazy. They are mostly Maples and Elms and one of the Maples is even leafing out already. My question is.....should I repot, or is it too early? My garage right now is between 40 and fifty degrees most of the time. I don't have any natural light in there but do have fluorescents.

If the buds have popped open then don't repot, if they are just starting to swell you can. However they are forcasting an artic blast comming down by the middle of the week, so--what you repot must be sheltered from this weather. There is an alternitive with the Maples. Maples do quite well if repoted in early summer after the leaves have hardened off about the time you defoliate.

Top Bottom