Too Hot

Cip

Seedling
Reaction score
I just keep loosing tree after tree, it's just too hot.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Shady spot?
Bigger pots?
Substrate with better water retention?
Water more?
Adapt and overcome!

Let's see the carnage.....

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
How hot is your hot?
I always thought South Carolina was a mild temperature zone.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The woodchuck rhyme floated into my subconscious…..so……
If a hot tree could take heat how much heat could a hot tree take.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Which species have you lost?
What work did you do this year on them and when?
Where were they in your yard? All day sun or partial shade?
What is the soil mix they are in?
How often do you water?

All of these questions will help us figure out if there is something you can do to stop more from dying

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Yes. Hot here too. Twins cities -like many places- in a bad drought. It has been mid to upper 90s with sometimes a break in the upper 80s for the last month now.
#LEAFBURN!!🤣

coachspinks

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
As several others have mentioned, more info is needed. I am just west of you and we have been close to 100 degrees with dew points of 80 for several straight days now. I saw a "feels "like of 118 earlier this week. I monitor it pretty closely because there are high school athletic implications when it is this hot (note my screen name.) Anyway, mine are thriving but I do water twice a day.

Cip

Seedling
Reaction score
I see all kinds of questions, so I just started 7 trees last May. All were low ground junipers, I made in to uprights. I do have one Cryptomeria Black Dragon that is doing well, it's still in the original container. I did very little root pruning and used for the most part the soil that they came in. I have bought some Monto clay, lava rock and Perlite. I bought 20/9/9 fertilizer and have used it two or three times in the last two months. They get full sun in the morning and then they are shaded by the porch roof the rest of the day. I'm not sure how often to water them, but I did see that the peat soil holds water much longer. I have 3 trees that are still alive, plus the Black Dragon, it was 40" high and I cut it back to 24" also I bought a cheap Ficus and so far it is doing well also.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I didn't keep the dead trees, sorry.
No problem. I have a dump spot in the back with probably 20+ bonsai attempts. 🤣. The dog finds them and reminds me of my failed attempts.

Reactions: Cip

shimbrypaku

Shohin
Reaction score
My growing season in NC is going fine, I’m water every day. Only lost one in the spring, stupid mistake. Fertilizer a tree that was just root pruned.

Reactions: Cip

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
You may not be watering enough. Here in Asheville I water every day and today I just did a second go around since it was 85 and dry. Try growing bald cypress, impossible to over water and you can probably collect one yourself.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not the heat... something else is leading to your problems.
This^^^

Lots of people are handling hotter weather than yours and somehow manage. Imagine those west coast folks dealing with 115 degrees.
And frankly, don't think I am being unfair or unkind, but you haven't given us enough info to even hazard a guess as to what your issues are.

Top Bottom