Too late for 2nd layering this year?

ibnozn

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have a four trunk clump of trident maple from an air layer that I separated 3-4 weeks ago. It has lots of new growth sprouting on it so I believe it has rooted well in it's pond basket. Unfortunately I did the air layer too low, so there is about 4" of single trunk below the 4 branch split where the nebari should be. I will need to do another root layering further up to get the roots where I want. For this layering I'll probably use a pot instead of a bag so it could stay on over the winter if need be. Is it too late to start a second air layer on this now? Should I wait until spring?

Reaction score
well, ask yourself how important it is to you if it does not work and you loose the work you have already done, not to mention your plant???
If it is not that important, than proceed...
Patience Daniel Son...

Mike423

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I agree that it would be risky. I would recommend you pot the tree and keep it well protected over the winter since the roots are fragile due to being undeveloped. If able to I would then plant it in the ground next spring and ground-layer where you want the new root system. Depending on how important the this stock is to you though I would possibly plant it in the ground for a year to regain some vigor before attempting the ground layer. Remember patience is key, a great Bonsai is not accomplished in a few years.

ibnozn

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I had planned on heeling it in and mulching around it well this winter then possibly trying a pumice/nursery flat type setup next season with this guy and my other two like it. Or in the ground. I have no problem waiting. Was just wondering if it could be done. Thanks!

Reaction score
sorry, I was not trying to be mean... I just thought I was better to tell you the truth. Your new layering is still quite fragile, the roots can be easily broken and the added stress of trying to layer off a layer, could send it over the edge.
also, I would tend to agree with Mike, that you probally should just lower it in the potting... Are you using well draining soil??? If so... why don't you add more soil, up to the level you want. Maples, are usually pretty good about rooting up.
Hopefully it will start putting out roots higher up, and then you can slowly remove the lower ones...

Last edited:

Colorado Slim

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
you can make a wire tourniquet above the rootball and bury it deeper to get roots higher on the tree and hopefully also provide better nebari

Top Bottom