Too late for collection?

LondonRosso

Seedling
Reaction score
I have a small Jacaranda tree growing in my neighborhood that I want to make into a bonsai. It's small enough, but it started sprouting about 2 1/2 weeks ago, and as you can see is now leafing everywhere. It is though continuing to have new sprouts.

I know Jacarandas are extremely hardy, but is it too late for me to collect it and keep it out of full sun to grow with a little less stress?

Here are some pictures of it. The bulb is about 2 1/2 inches in diameter, and it's about 15 inches tall.

Thanks for any advice.

20200425_171225.jpg20200425_171150.jpg

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have a small Jacaranda tree growing in my neighborhood that I want to make into a bonsai. It's small enough, but it started sprouting about 2 1/2 weeks ago, and as you can see is now leafing everywhere. It is though continuing to have new sprouts.

I know Jacarandas are extremely hardy, but is it too late for me to collect it and keep it out of full sun to grow with a little less stress?

Here are some pictures of it. The bulb is about 2 1/2 inches in diameter, and it's about 15 inches tall.

Thanks for any advice.

View attachment 298478View attachment 298479
Interesting material.
Please put location information / hardiness zone in profile, this will help immensely, especially with this collection topic.

LondonRosso

Seedling
Reaction score
Interesting material.
Please put location information / hardiness zone in profile, this will help immensely, especially with this collection topic.
It's in Los Angeles. We're getting 70s-90s since the marine layer is messing with us. It's trunk is definitely getting less malleable.

It gets water every night from it's house's sprinkler system and receives direct sunlight from 4-7pm

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
It doesn't look like Jacaranda foliage...
Jacaranda leaf.JPG
Maybe Tamarind?

LondonRosso

Seedling
Reaction score
No, I'm 99% positive it's Jacaranda. My entire neighborhood is covered with them, and a jacaranda tree is less than a few meters away from where this is.

I've always heard that locust trees are extremely hearty, I'm just wondering if this will survive being transplanted at this mid-stage of spring

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Locust? Jacaranda is not related to Locust. Have you seen the Jacaranda bloom?

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No, I'm 99% positive it's Jacaranda. My entire neighborhood is covered with them, and a jacaranda tree is less than a few meters away from where this is.

I've always heard that locust trees are extremely hearty, I'm just wondering if this will survive being transplanted at this mid-stage of spring

I have one that I've abused horribly and not managed to kill. My guess would be you could collect it at any time. If it were me, I'd defoliate at the same time as collection. If you can wait, wait until next spring. If not, I think you have a decent shot.

LondonRosso

Seedling
Reaction score
I thought Jacarada was part of the locust family. I see now I'm completely wrong. But yes, there is a massive Jacaranda with it's branches reaching maybe two yards away from where this little tree is. And I know that massive is a jacaranda because it blooms the famous purple blossoms.

I just hope the owner will approve.

If so, I'll post some updates.

Thank you to all

LondonRosso

Seedling
Reaction score
I'm in the North Hollywood area of Los Angeles. I'll post a picture of the tree that I'm almost positive sired the tree I've collected.

Five days after my last post I was able to collect it. I've defoliated it and potted it in bonsai mix along with much of the dirt that was originally around the root ball. It's already showing signs of new buds and the small buds that were present during defoliation are starting to sprout shoots.

Top Bottom