Too late for juniper root work?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hi all, looking for some quick advice on a few junipers that need their first stage of root work. I made it through a ton of repots this spring, knowing that the junipers would be my last. Unfortunately things took longer than expected… but I would still like to get these sabinas out of their nursery pots and work half of the root ball down.

It’s June 2 and I’m in 5b, SE Wisconsin. Temps are consistently 50-75, and still spring-ish weather. Haven’t quite hit the hot season yet. Can I get away with root work now, or is it too much of a risk?

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
If you can provide protection from sun and wind, and are only working half the root ball, you'll probably be ok. Consider misting the foliage at night and make sure you don't overwater.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Great, thanks for the advice. I have a shaded, wind-free spot set up for collected material. Hopefully can get to this today…

Srt8madness

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Some places (like here) never get below 50-75 😁 I just bought some Junis I have to stare at the next 7-8months.

Good luck and post some pics!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd call it a month ish too early!

Sorce

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Junipers are usually vigorous enough to handle another year of waiting.
The real question I believe is: do they need a repot, or do you need to repot?
All good in my opinion though! I get it. But sometimes some reflection might be a good call. Just to know where you're at.

I repotted 6 trees this year because I wanted to. I did another 10 because I wanted to restrict growth. I did another 30 because I felt they needed bigger pots to aid in growth.
None of them really needed it. But it's fine, all are doing good. But so are the ones I didn't repot.

Fall seems to be a good time for me as well. Considering that there's 5 months between meteorological fall and the first freezing temps nowadays.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Junipers are usually vigorous enough to handle another year of waiting.
The real question I believe is: do they need a repot, or do you need to repot?
All good in my opinion though! I get it. But sometimes some reflection might be a good call. Just to know where you're at.

I repotted 6 trees this year because I wanted to. I did another 10 because I wanted to restrict growth. I did another 30 because I felt they needed bigger pots to aid in growth.
None of them really needed it. But it's fine, all are doing good. But so are the ones I didn't repot.

Fall seems to be a good time for me as well. Considering that there's 5 months between meteorological fall and the first freezing temps nowadays.
Oh man, if only I could get OUT of repotting them! I’ve had enough root work for one year 😮‍💨

Unfortunately I had poor luck with my other junipers overwintering in this nursery’s organic soil. My mistake with moisture / watering as temps rose in late winter, I’m sure. Moving forward I figurethe best thing for my remaining juniper nursery stock would be to improve their soil drainage, and take them halfway to inorganic soil. No other insults to them planned for this year, so repotting seems like the logical conclusion.

I managed one this morning, a smaller needle juniper that has some promising movement. Went okay, glad I did it after seeing the state of the soil in the nursery can.

Thanks all for your input!

Top Bottom