Too late for major work on Oak?

Wow wow

Seedling
Reaction score
Hey guys, new here.

So I live in Sacramento, specifically close to an oak forest. I found some live oak there that id like to work on but I'm afraid it's too late for that? We are having temps of 90-91* Tuesday through Friday this week so yeah winter has been over for a long time. Is it too late for collecting or is it also too late to do a trunk chop and just leave it in situ? Thanks!

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I've chopped a southern live oak to almost nothing during summer and it survived. It is a nursery plant but I also chopped the roots back aggressively. I think it is better to wait though, now is the worst time to chop...let the tree re-generate and get stronger then chop mid-summer. If you have many to choose from, maybe collect one (not the best) then also as an experiment.

Good luck!

Wow wow

Seedling
Reaction score
Thanks for replying dario! I went out to the woods today and yes I do have a lot
To choose from. I found a good candidate, one that's been trunk chopped previously by someone I don't know. It's tallest shoot or branch is about 5-6 feet tall but not very thick at all.

What's the most work I can do on this tree right now? I want to make the branches or shoots a lot shorter and maybe collect it sometime in July or August? I heard it's best to collect oak during the growing season when they're fully leafed.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Where are you located?

Here is one nursery tree I did on 5/19/2012.
attachment.php

A few months later 7/17/2012.
attachment.php

Attachments

• P1120505.jpg
    P1120505.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 70
  • P1130113.jpg
    P1130113.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 72

Wow wow

Seedling
Reaction score
Rural part of Sacramento, California.

Wow wow

Seedling
Reaction score
Also found this really nice tree with a great trunk but it's one of the better trees so I'll save it for later. Got a nice curve

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 23

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Also found this really nice tree with a great trunk but it's one of the better trees so I'll save it for later. Got a nice curve

Nice, I'll chop it now and let it grow then collect a few months after the leaves hardened for a while.

that-guy

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Last October my mom got a new house and we cleared a small section of mostly shrubbery to see deer and stuff (step-dads idea, hunting season and all that) and we chopped an oak not sure if its a live oak but believe so from the leaves. It was chopped about 8 inches and last month it sprouted a lot mostly little suckers but I collected it about 3 weeks ago got rid of all but one sucker to keep a few more leaves and it had a big deep tap root I had to cut to get it and it didn't have many roots. It did shrivel some but that was because I didn't water it thoroughly enough but now it is thriving and budding. I'd post a pic but I'm at my fathers. Point is even though I'm really new at this I think they're pretty tough plants and if you watch it it should do fine

Wow wow

Seedling
Reaction score
Thanks for the input Dustin, much appreciated

Dario, I'll do just that thanks! Much appreciated.

Top Bottom