Too late for procumbens UPpot?

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Going into summer? Tree is tied to bench in case of wind.
I have a bigger pot that is too heavy to blow over.
Thus the time question.

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I’d either do a full repot or wait until a season you’re more comfortable to do a full repot. I wouldn’t say this constitutes an emergency warranting an uppot.

I also don’t deal with wind that requires engineering to protect against.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
This is the procumbens. VIVID green.

2023 procumbens juniper.jpg
This pot look-ed big enough but this year we had two tornado style wind days.

Blew a big and heavy pot with a juniper OFF the shelf and ONTO a quince, breaking off one trunk. :mad:
This was a REALLY heavy pot.
twisty juniper.jpg
Old picture. Tree same but fuller now.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
junipers are trees I often repot later than others. They seem to take it in their stride and I have not found a time when it is too late yet. Also as your desire is to up pot you won't be removing a lot of root. up-potting this way can be undertaken almost any time as trees can cope with small amount of root reduction easily. When up potting it is important to tease out some outer roots so they can grow into the new soil easily and so the new soil is in good contact with the older soil.

Having passed on those tips I do not agree with your strategy of up potting to counteract wind problem. There's no point in having good bonsai in pots too big and even oversized pot may not work given the other big pot also blew over. I would try looking at other solutions first. Wind protection screen? Shade cloth is great at reducing windspeed and may help. If that's not viable I've seen growers in windy areas tie trees to the bench. Octopus straps work well. Wire or rope are good but a bit harder to apply and undo when you need to turn the trees.

Baku1875

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
This is the procumbens. VIVID green.

View attachment 484985
This pot look-ed big enough but this year we had two tornado style wind days.

Blew a big and heavy pot with a juniper OFF the shelf and ONTO a quince, breaking off one trunk. :mad:
This was a REALLY heavy pot.
View attachment 484984
Old picture. Tree same but fuller now.
consider tie-ing the pots down to the benches with braided steel wire or something. One can see this often in nurseries like mirai, etc, the imbalanced trees are at the very least tied down tight to the bench

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
junipers are trees I often repot later than others. They seem to take it in their stride and I have not found a time when it is too late yet. Also as your desire is to up pot you won't be removing a lot of root. up-potting this way can be undertaken almost any time as trees can cope with small amount of root reduction easily. When up potting it is important to tease out some outer roots so they can grow into the new soil easily and so the new soil is in good contact with the older soil.

Having passed on those tips I do not agree with your strategy of up potting to counteract wind problem. There's no point in having good bonsai in pots too big and even oversized pot may not work given the other big pot also blew over. I would try looking at other solutions first. Wind protection screen? Shade cloth is great at reducing windspeed and may help. If that's not viable I've seen growers in windy areas tie trees to the bench. Octopus straps work well. Wire or rope are good but a bit harder to apply and undo when you need to turn the trees.

The pot I am considering is not so much larger. It is much heavier.
The tree that blew over was probably a sail effect as the foliage was also heavier and susceptible to wind more than the propose juniper would be.
This is it with the large amount of foliage.

juniper twist.jpg

But not in the pot it's in now that I am considering replacing.

This is the heavier pot I am considering uppotting to:

oak 2022.jpg

Haven't done it yet.. Still considering. 🙂

Baku1875

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
The pot I am considering is not so much larger. It is much heavier.
The tree that blew over was probably a sail effect as the foliage was also heavier and susceptible to wind more than the propose juniper would be.
This is it with the large amount of foliage.

View attachment 485316

But not in the pot it's in now that I am considering replacing.

This is the heavier pot I am considering uppotting to:

View attachment 485318

Haven't done it yet.. Still considering. 🙂
I would go for it- it satisfies the weight requirement that you are looking for, it's still early enough in the year to get some root growth into the new pot, and it's only slightly bigger...

I've forgotten to shelter my plants during tropical storms in the past, and it's a terrible feeling to find broken pots, damaged trees, etc.

A really heavy thick walled shallower pot would probably be perfect in the future tho.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I would go for it- it satisfies the weight requirement that you are looking for, it's still early enough in the year to get some root growth into the new pot, and it's only slightly bigger...

I've forgotten to shelter my plants during tropical storms in the past, and it's a terrible feeling to find broken pots, damaged trees, etc.

A really heavy thick walled shallower pot would probably be perfect in the future tho.

The deed is done. Surprisingly little root growth over past year.
The pot is heavy, thick walled and shallower (not a whole lot), but the uprooted tree is almost at pot bottom.
What it came out of was wetter than I like ....beneath.... the root mass.
Now it's wait and see time.
I also moved it a shelf farther out to get a lot more sun.

............If ever we get sun again.

Baku1875

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
The deed is done. Surprisingly little root growth over past year.
The pot is heavy, thick walled and shallower (not a whole lot), but the uprooted tree is almost at pot bottom.
What it came out of was wetter than I like ....beneath.... the root mass.
Now it's wait and see time.
I also moved it a shelf farther out to get a lot more sun.

............If ever we get sun again.
from what it sounds like, it's a multi- win for the health and safety of the tree and your peace of mind, shallower is a bonus too.

Great lecture by Jonas Dupuich, he talks about a recent study about conifer growth and the biggest root expansion of the year occurs during 'summer dormancy', so our trees aren't exactly dormant during that time, they are digging into the soil full speed.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
from what it sounds like, it's a multi- win for the health and safety of the tree and your peace of mind, shallower is a bonus too.

Great lecture by Jonas Dupuich, he talks about a recent study about conifer growth and the biggest root expansion of the year occurs during 'summer dormancy', so our trees aren't exactly dormant during that time, they are digging into the soil full speed.

"Great lecture by Jonas Dupuich, he talks about a recent study about conifer growth and the biggest root expansion of the year occurs during 'summer dormancy', so our trees aren't exactly dormant during that time, they are digging into the soil full speed."

Is the reason that the foliage is asking for more water and the roots are complying by extending to do that? 🤔

Baku1875

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
"Great lecture by Jonas Dupuich, he talks about a recent study about conifer growth and the biggest root expansion of the year occurs during 'summer dormancy', so our trees aren't exactly dormant during that time, they are digging into the soil full speed."

Is the reason that the foliage is asking for more water and the roots are complying by extending to do that? 🤔
it definitely seems to be a very reasonable conclusion, and is probably day duration and temperature triggered. To cope with the heat of peak summer, the foliage needs access to more water to transpire thru the stomata, and to get more water, the roots have to push as hard as possible to be able to pull it out of the soil to cool the tree down.

That video is a heck of a lecture, and the ABAS website has a really useful scheduling cheatsheet guide for conifers and deciduous in California.

https://www.abasbonsai.org/_files/ugd/6d5500_0b5e2ee5c63d4ca59a8950f2c3c507ad.pdf

This is the conifer guide.

Top Bottom